Summary: The experienced sales representative strives to reach established sales goals, while communicating effectively and professionally on the phone. The representative must be skilled in the sale and distribution of wire and cable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Promotes/sells/secures orders from existing and prospective customers through a relationship-based approach.
Establishes, develops and maintains business relationships with current customers and prospective customers to generate new business for Allied Wire and Cable.
Makes telephone calls to existing and prospective customers.
Researches sources for developing prospective customers.
Displays or demonstrates product, using samples or catalog, and emphasizes salable features.
Quotes prices and credit terms and prepares sales contracts for orders obtained.
Estimates date of delivery to customer, based on knowledge of own firm's production and delivery schedules.
Prepares reports of business transactions and keeps expense accounts.
Maintain long-term consultative relationship with clients for continuing business
Enters new customer data and other sales data for current customers into computer database.
Investigates and resolves customer problems with deliveries.
Tele-market, correspond and meet with current and prospective customers
Be resourceful & take responsibility for controlling own success in our business growth
Established client based within the wire and cable industry
Attends trade shows.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Strives to continuously build Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals. Contributes to profits and revenue
- Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking - Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; at least two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret reports, procedure manuals, legal documents, and procedural manuals. Negotiating skills are desirable. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Manufacturing software and Order processing systems.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Allied Wire & Cable provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.