Sign-On Bonus $5,000
Compensation: Salaried, Exempt, $102,294.40 to $126,796.80 per year + Competitive Benefits Package
Work Schedule: Full time, M-F
Who We Are
Unity Care NW is a private, non-profit, federally qualified health center that has been proudly and successfully serving the greater Whatcom County area since 1982. With clinics located in Bellingham & Ferndale, we offer comprehensive primary medical, behavioral health and dental care, as well as pharmacy services to a diverse and often underserved patient population of all ages. Employing almost 300 caring and compassionate employees, our mission is to increase the years of healthy life in the people & communities we serve.
Safety is our priority through the Covid-19 pandemic. To learn more about what we’re doing to ensure the safety of patients and staff, please view the following website: https://unitycarenw.org/safe/.
What We Value
We have an inclusive culture and strive to demonstrate our Values in Action in all that we do. We value each individual on our team and aim to onboard a diverse workforce of the very best talent, whose ambitions and values align with ours.
As our Controller, you would be responsible for planning, directing and coordinating all operational accounting functions of the organization by performing the duties listed below.
Reviews, approves, and analyzes the general accounting functions of UCNW:
- Manages the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day financial activities
- Develops, improves, and ensures timely, accurate, and complete preparation of all transactions
- Maintains the chart of accounts, the general ledger, and accounting system modules
- Reviews and approves monthly bank and balance sheet reconciliations
- Reviews and approves payable and cash receipt batches
- Works with pharmacy to ensure financial compliance with 340b program for both in-house pharmacy and contract pharmacy.
- Monitors cash flow to accurately predict the need for cash or a surplus, communicates concerns with CFO
- Prepares monthly taxes for Sales and B&O tax
Supports financial forecasting and budgeting:
- Analyzes patient revenue trends to ensure identification of potential problems
- Provides financial forecasting support to evaluate agency sustainability and strategic planning
- Participates and supports the annual budget preparation, working with managers and supervisors to help enhance the precision of reported financial outcomes
Interfaces with external agencies and oversees audit functions:
- Engages with auditors to determine applicability of new accounting standards to the organization’s financial statements
- Manages external audits, ensures documentation for annual fiscal, 401K audit, and HRSA site visits is accurate, complete, and timely
- Acts as banking liaison for account services support and other products
Prepares periodic financial reports and statements:
- Prepares financial reporting including monthly income statement, balance sheet, statement of cashflows, departmental statement and dashboard for UCNW, NWHC and consolidated
- Stands in for the CFO at monthly Finance Committee meeting when the CFO is unavailable for the meeting
- Researches month variances in revenue and expenses to ensure all transactions are reported accurately
Ensures accounting department remains compliant:
- Develops and updates accounting policies, standards, procedures and workflows consistent with GAAP and Federal, State and local laws and regulations
- Functions as an administrator and maintains security for the Microix, Paylocity, and MIP systems
- Implements and monitors internal controls and risk mitigation in financial reporting
Manages the finance staff:
- Determines the most effective method for assigning responsibilities and duties to department employees.
- Assigns duties and responsibilities, and ensures employees receive instruction/training needed to complete their job responsibilities.
- Reviews departmental work for thoroughness and accuracy; provides specific instructions to employees on completion of tasks/responsibilities.
- Ensures that employees are aware of and adhere to all company policies and procedures and conveys all senior management communications and directives.
- Makes recommendations for functional/departmental budget; maintains and monitors approved budgets.
- Maintains job descriptions, procedures and other documentation related to the organization of the department.
- Prepares and conducts performance appraisals for immediate staff, including establishment and implementation of developmental plans; reviews performance appraisals conducted by subordinate supervisors.
- Provides recommendations on hiring, disciplinary actions and terminations; executes corrective action within scope of authority.
What We Offer
- A friendly and collaborative team environment
- Ongoing, in-house leadership training plus 1-on-1 management coaching with our Organizational Development Specialist
- Competitive compensation & benefits
- Medical, Vision & Dental insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off & 6 Paid holidays
- 401(k) match after one year
- Life insurance
- Voluntary disability, accident & critical illness insurance plans
- Employee Assistant Plan
- Alternative transportation incentive
- Annual Wellness Benefits
Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years relevant experience in a multi-funded non-profit organization, preferably in a community (CHC) or other healthcare environment.
- Experience with financial management and reporting related to federal grants.
- Experience with management of federal information resources (Circular A-130/Supercircular) and audits of federal grants (Circular A-133/Supercircular).
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory experience
- Management of capitated, at-risk health insurance programs
- Grants management of federal funds
- Knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and major insurance carrier regulations, procedures and benefit plans.
- Experience in revenue cycle management in a health care environment desirable.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Operation of practice management; electronic health records systems knowledge.
- Grants management of state and private funds.
Live in a community consistently rated as one of the most desirable in the USA! Nestled on Bellingham Bay at the foot of the Cascade Mountains just a short distance from Seattle, Vancouver, BC, and the San Juan Islands, Bellingham is home to over 91,000 people and surrounded by several charming small towns. Enjoy all the area has to offer:
- Recreational & Outdoor Activities (Hiking, Biking, Skiing, Snow Boarding, Fishing, Sailing, Kayaking, & Camping)
- Excellent Schools (University, Community College, Technical School, & Outstanding K-12 Educational System)
- Small Town or City Living (Unique Shops, Local Festivals, Farmers Markets, Berry Picking, & Community Events)
- Cultural Activities (Theater, Music, Independent Films, Museums, Art Studios, & Diverse Local Restaurants)
If you would like to commit to a team such as this, and feel you could help us in our efforts, please apply. We would love to hear from you! To apply, visit our Careers Page: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/01ab991b-8943-482a-9a66-9faa7b131dec/Unity-Care-NW . For news on our organization & future job postings, please follow us on LinkedIn at https://bit.ly/363mfhv!
Unity Care NW has an Employee Health Program for the safety of our patients and staff. The program requires all employees to receive annual flu immunizations. In accordance with Washington State Proclamation 21-14, Unity Care NW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.