The Human Resources Manager provides day to day oversight of the Human Resources department, in support of an environment that fosters excellence, commitment, creativity and cooperation throughout the Museum. S/he works closely with the Director of Human Resources to ensure high quality HR programs and services are provided to, and on behalf of, the Museum. The Human Resources Manager will have specific focus on the management of benefit programs, recruitment, on boarding and off boarding, internship program, payroll, and compliance. This individual plays a key role in support of Museum departments with frontline staff as well as organizing staff events. The ideal candidate will be committed to the development of policies and programs to attract, retain, and promote a diverse workforce for the organization.
• Responsible for recruiting and hiring all frontline positions; works closely with Hiring Managers to ensure a strong, diverse applicant pool, thoughtful selection of candidates, thorough interviewing and reference-checking process, background check processing, follow-up and frequent communication with applicants.
• Oversee new hire orientations and logistics for the organization which include conducting HR orientations and also scheduling various orientations with other departments; oversee activities of employees’ first days and beyond to facilitate successful transition into their new role.
• Support and provide guidance to frontline department supervisors with employee performance management and disciplinary issues; customer service training needs; manage voluntary and involuntary terminations when necessary.
• Oversee internship program, which includes communicating with prospective and current interns and intern supervisors and facilitating learning opportunities for interns.
• Responsible for bi-weekly payroll changes, additions and terminations; create reports on payroll and HR data when required for compliance reporting or when requested from other departments. Oversee audit of payroll benefits deductions. Manage PTO and leave accrual records with payroll.
• Responsible for administration of benefits (including enrollments, terminations, and billing) for all benefits programs including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) retirement plan and others. Manage annual open enrollment process for benefits.
• Gather data and develop analysis and reports on salary and benefit projections as needed for annual budget process.
• Oversee annual Performance Management process, updating evaluation forms, managing timeline and receipt of evaluation forms. Work with Director of Human Resources to compile and analyze feedback from the performance management process.
• Design and manage all-staff activities to achieve staff recognition and help maintain and advance sense of positive morale and teamwork within the organization. Such activity may include monthly brown bag lunches, staff social activities, and staff/family celebrations (two per year), developing committees as needed.
• With the Director of Human Resources:
o manage Family and Medical Leave requests
o respond to questionnaires and other requests relating to Division of Unemployment claims and workers’ compensation claims
o research and help implement professional development opportunities for staff
o create and implement Museum’s diversity strategy with the goal of increasing representation and retention of diverse employees and creating a culture of respect and inclusivity
• Stay up-to-date on current human resources, issues, policies, laws and best practices to advise Museum staff on compliance requirements.
• Assist the Director of Human Resources in implementing and carrying out Human Resources programs and projects, as needed.
• Three to five years of relevant human resources experience, preferably in a non-profit environment; Human Resources degree or certificate desired.
• Working knowledge of the best practices and principles of HR administration, including familiarity with state and federal regulations.
• Good working knowledge of benefits programs.
• Accounting and/or payroll experience; experience with Paylocity a plus.
• Recruiting and interviewing experience required.
• Previous experience handling employee relations and disciplinary issues.
• Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Excels at prioritizing tasks under shifting demands.
• Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills .
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with a high degree of professionalism.
• Strong mathematical and analytical skills
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, with strong Excel skills
• Committed to working with a diverse staff.