The Discovery & Platform group is seeking an experienced leader responsible for defining, growing, and managing the Cell Technologies team to ensure continued scientific excellence in cell biology, functional screening, and DNA repair. In this role, you will define and execute a strategy to develop, optimize, and characterize next generation gene editing systems in disease relevant human cell models to support Arbor’s innovative pipeline of gene editing therapies. As part of Arbor’s Extended Leadership Team (ELT) you will be responsible for overseeing the scientific & operational infrastructure required to meet Arbor’s strategic priorities in Cell Technologies and provide subject matter expertise in mammalian cell biology to support key corporate initiatives including strategic partnerships and business development activities. The successful candidate will exhibit the capability to effectively lead complex projects by working across multiple functional groups and have a demonstrated track record of a success as a people manager and mentor. Experience in drug development, and a strong understanding of gene editing are highly desired.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Lead impactful innovation programs to develop and optimize novel gene editing technologies in mammalian cells with a focus on precision editing and large payload engineering.
- Lead the Cell Technologies team, providing strategic and technical leadership in genome engineering, cell biology, and functional genomics
- Establish methods to characterize gene editing outcomes in mammalian cells using both molecular and functional readouts,
- Investigate the influence of DNA repair and chromatin biology on gene editing and develop strategies to modulate these processes to enhance gene editing outcomes
- Develop pooled screening assays using molecular barcoding techniques for optimization of gene editing systems, with a particular focus on lentiviral screening methods.
- Work with the automation & computational biology teams to optimize methods for data collection and analysis
- Build a culture of personal accountability, teamwork, and mentorship that supports the professional development of direct reports and junior scientists across the Arbor community
- PhD and/or post-doctoral training in the area of cell biology, genetics, biological engineering, synthetic biology, or related bioscience field
- 10+ years of relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience in genome engineering, functional genomics, gene therapy or related fields
- 3+ years of experience building, managing, and leading teams to successfully meet objectives supporting the organization, its people, and patients
- Extensive experience with gene editing in mammalian cell systems is essential
- Familiarity with next generation sequencing
- Direct experience developing and deploying lenti-viral pooled screening platforms
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and communication skills
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic and highly collaborative environment
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills are required to work with cross departmental teams/functions to drive drug discovery projects
- Preference will be given to candidates with proven track record of leadership and a strong scientific background of mammalian cell biology, DNA repair, and chromatin biology
- Hands on experience applying genome engineering to drive drug discovery programs
- Experience with second generation gene editing platforms such as base editing, prime editing, or targeted insertion of large payloads is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with high throughput screening, protein engineering, and synthetic biology is strongly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of molecular biology & library cloning techniques
Our values govern the work we do at Arbor, and we’re hoping that they resonate as strongly with you as they do with us!
- Astonishingly Connected: The best work happens when we do it together. At Arbor, we believe strong, clear communication is crucial to our success and emboldens collaboration in all of us.
- Our People are Gems: And we treat each other as such by celebrating our growth and development. We invest in our team and encourage everyone to have both a learners mindset and a willingness to teach others.
- Remarkably Mighty: You'll be intrigued when you take a closer look at Arbor. We approach our work with integrity and thoughtfulness. We are brave, which leads us to take smart risks and make bold discoveries.
- Authenticity is Encouraged: From eating cheese puffs with chopsticks, to doing cartwheels on our balance beam, we're all about embracing your true self and showing up as you really are. Our differences make us extraordinary.
At Arbor, we are discovering, developing and making available to all patients the next-generation of genetic medicines. We are disrupting the field through our proprietary discovery engine to develop a portfolio of differentiated genetic editing and delivery capabilities. We have an unencumbered portfolio of multiple CRISPR based genetic modifiers that can be tailored to correct the underlying pathology of each genetic disease. Our pipeline of genetic medicines will focus on bringing cures to all patients with genetic disease.
We seek highly-motivated individuals with the dedication, integrity, and creative spirit needed to thrive in an innovative company. Working at Arbor offers a unique opportunity that combines the fast pace and growth opportunities of a startup with the intellectual rigor and creativity of academia. Our salaries are competitive, our benefits are generous, and our team is exceptional.
Arbor Biotechnologies is proud to be an inclusive workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.