The Turf/Ballfield Technician is responsible for maintaining and restoring lawns and general maintenance throughout the park including ballfields, and the general upkeep and maintenance of groundskeeping equipment. This position is a 9 month seasonal Full Time position that starts April and ends on December. The hourly wage for this position is $15 per hour.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
General Lawncare & Park Maintenance
- Mow lawns throughout the Park and in Quaker Cemetery
- Cut weeds in and adjacent to lawns not reachable by mower
- Rake, level, haul material for, fence, and broadcast seed on lawns
- Install, maintain, and/or remove fencing and signage
- Remove litter from and generally clean lawn and open areas
- Remove hazards in the park and/or mitigate hazardous situations
- Assist crews from ballfields, landscape management, and maintenance and operations when necessary for emergencies, special events or special projects
- Remove snow and ice as needed
- Facilitate work completed by volunteers in Prospect Park on occasion
- Interact with the public to help resolve issues, provide information and answer general park inquiries
- May work alongside volunteers and youth in carrying out responsibilities
- General maintenance of five (5) athletic fields including maintenance of clay infields with Sand Pro infield groomer; hand groom clay infields when necessary; level field surfaces by filling in holes created by dogs, metal detectors, and drainage issues; and Mowing lawns in athletic fields
- Pump excess water due to poor drainage from fields after rainfall
- Clean dugouts, infields, outfields, and lawn areas daily
- Paint, make minor repairs, remove graffiti, and remove weeds around benches, signage, and light posts ? Assist crews from ballfields, landscape management, and maintenance and operations when necessary for emergencies, special events and special projects
Operation & Maintenance of Groundskeeping Equipment
- Operate vehicles (e.g., truck, utility vehicle, tractor), power equipment (e.g., chainsaw, string trimmer, mower, brush hog, woodchipper, and hedge trimmer), and various hand tools safely
- Keep an inventory of tools and equipment and communicate with supervisor about additional tool and equipment needs
- Maintain vehicles, tools, equipment, and shared workspaces as per standards set out by supervisor; communicate issues with vehicle, tool, and equipment safety to supervisor as they arise
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of one (1) year groundskeeping or general landscaping experience and operating related machinery preferred
- A valid Driver’s License
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Machinery Operation: Competence in mechanized equipment and safe vehicle operation is essential. The ability to safely operate and maintain various groundskeeping vehicles and equipment including but not limited to infield groomers, utility vehicles, weed whackers and riding and push lawn mowers is required. A general understanding of ballfield maintenance.
- General Facility Maintenance: Knowledge of or ability to perform simple building/grounds maintenance and repair duties utilizing power and hand tools commonly used in the industry including but not limited to power tools such as, drills, and hand tools such as hammer, pliers and screw drivers, lawn mowers, blowers and snow blowers.
- Health and Safety: Comply with relevant health and safety legislation and regulation and organizational policies. Manages risk including the identification of hazards, assessment of risks and implementation of control measures. Manages own safety and that of others.
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent, responsive and friendly customer service to patrons and park visitors.
- Results and Impact Focus: Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and highly motivated to consistently produce high quality work and achieve desired outcomes and results.
- Decision Making & Problem Solving: Alerts others to possible problems in a timely fashion. Seeks support to solve problems. Offers possible solutions. Acts on solutions selected and decisions made as directed.
- Self-Management: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Communication: Ability to positively engage with and impart key information to members of the public.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed in the field which subjects the employee to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions and some exposure to moderate risk of accident/injury requiring following basic safety precautions. Additionally, involves frequent exposure to challenging elements such as extreme dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, loud noises, chemicals, etc., and exposure to potentially hazardous substances, or other significant job environmental risks
- Requires operating a motor vehicle; operating equipment where carelessness could result in injury; standing for extended periods of time; stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, lifting, pushing, pulling and/or crawling; use of manual dexterity and fine motor skills; use of a desktop, laptop or video display terminal and identifying and distinguishing colors and shades of color
- Requires manual labor requiring moderate physical exertion (consistent need to lift, push, pull, carry, etc. up to 50 lbs.). May require special safety precautions, such as working around moving parts, machines or with irritant chemicals and may require use of protective clothing or gear
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading basic documents and/or following verbal instructions and filling in forms
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.