We are looking for an Associate Engineer to work with our Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) team. As a member of the SWARCO McCain team, you will manage the research and development laboratory which shall serve to provide testing and quality assurance test environments for ITS hardware and software. Operate short and long term test procedures on SWARCO McCain software solutions. Provide engineering and training support for ITS technical specialists. Collaborate with ITS technical specialists on customer issues, responding to internal and external issues in a timely manner. This position will collaborate with other support staff - especially with the Senior ITS Engineer within the department. The Associate Engineer will be responsible for establishing support procedures and best practices as well analyzing and projecting workload. This position bridges traffic operations, traffic engineering, product implementation and manufacturing.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Enter detailed work activity in JIRA and Confluence issue tracking system.
- Research and evaluate integration of ITS technology.
- Research and evaluate connected vehicle technology.
- Work closely with the department project managers and ITS specialists.
- Provide ITS technical specialists with status updates on issues.
- Communicate with others within the department and other departments as needed.
- Work closely with the Engineering department on product related items.
- Handle other requests from management in a timely manner.
- Responsible and accountable for the technical support of various projects.
- Perform load testing on central software products.
- Must have a bachelor's degree in an Electrical Engineering or Civil Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of applicable experience with Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
- Must be knowledgeable in the installation and maintenance of QuicNet and Transparity or similar central traffic signal system software.
- Working knowledge in the installation and maintenance of BITran and Omni or similar local controller software.
- Knowledgeable of the network requirements of traffic signal systems including traffic signal interconnect and server systems.
- Knowledgeable of ancillary traffic signal systems such as detection systems, conflict monitors, EVPE, and pedestrian pushbuttons.
- Knowledgeable of traffic signal coordination methods such as time based, traffic adaptive and peer-to-peer.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to interact with customers and all levels of personnel in a professional manner.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing to travel up to 15%.
Physical Conditions / Requirements
- No unusual physical requirements and work is performed occasionally in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Occasional – Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
- Job frequently requires talking, hearing, standing, sitting, lifting up to 20 lbs., bending, and handling objects with hands.
- Vision requirements: Ability to visually see information in print and /or electronically.
- Talking on the phone with internal and external customer.
As a member of our team, you will enjoy
- A GREAT work environment with fun, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful team members.
- Benefits package to support you and your family’s health. From medical, dental, and vision, to flexible spending accounts for both health and dependent care.
- Educational reimbursement to help keep your career undated.
- Save money on tickets to the San Diego Zoo, other amusement parks, movies, indoor skydiving and so much more with our employee discount program.
- Paid time off, holidays, company-matched 401(k) plan and more!