The Community Reinvestment Act (“CRA”) Business/Commercial Banker will focus on strengthening community relationships as well as proactively sourcing, acquiring, and retaining customers within the Bank’s Indianapolis CRA assessment area (Marion and Hamilton Counties within the Indianapolis-Carmel, Indiana MSA). The CRA Business/Commercial Banker (“CRA Banker”) will spend the majority of the time in the field, on appointments, fostering community partnerships, generating leads, and closing business. This position is commission eligible in addition to a strong, competitive base salary.
A major focus of the CRA Banker will be acquiring CRA eligible small business loans in our identified Indianapolis CRA Assessment Area.
A successful candidate will partner with local agencies, community development groups and non-profit organizations to further economic development. Key internal partnerships will be our affordable mortgage banking team and our Chief Compliance Officer, where we will work together to provide comprehensive outreach and lending solutions in low to moderate census tracts.
A successful candidate will focus on growing our customer base and developing sustaining profitable relationships by meeting the demands of the local community and local business banking market. The CRA Banker will pay particular attention on bank products and services such as deposits, treasury management, loans, letters of credit, SBA lending, and other related products.
- Achieve established CRA, revenue, sales production, and business goals.
- Proactively manage a portfolio of clients, identifying needs and maximizing opportunities.
- Generate leads and close opportunities, including originating simple and complex 'oans, performing renewals, and managing problem credits.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a focus in business, accounting, or finance strongly preferred. Extensive experience in a related role will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Requires prior credit training.
- Requires outside calling skills, including demonstrated successful prospecting, contact management, and relationship building.
- Requires strong working knowledge of credit structuring and processing, in addition to strong analytical skills with the demonstrated ability to manage and present complex financial information in a format that is easily understood. SBA Lending experience is a plus.
- Requires knowledge of the CRA Investment Community partners like CDFI’s and CDC’s.
- Prefers a minimum of five years of banking experience; with a minimum of three years in business banking, or commensurate experience.
All employees are expected to contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing requested duties regardless of explicit inclusion in the job description or reasonable relation to an employee’s primary role. Additionally, all employees must understand and adhere to all federal and state laws and banking regulations and company policies and procedures applicable to assigned job responsibilities, including compliance as appropriate under the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations.
Additionally, all employees are expected to demonstrate the following Core Competencies:
Professionalism – acting with responsibility, integrity, and accountability; demonstrating consistent trustworthiness and reliability; always remaining flexible, adaptable, and willing to accept coaching; building and managing professionally healthy relationships; deliberately managing career decisions; and continually developing awareness of business-related topics.
Communication – understanding various active and passive tools and styles and their effects; and exhibiting appropriate, effective, timely use of tools and styles to connect, collaborate, facilitate teamwork, and serve customers.
Work Quality – demonstrating an ongoing commitment to compliance, safety, and security; executing work with efficiency, a sense of urgency and attention to detail; and displaying organized work practices and a results-oriented mindset.
Analytical Ability – navigating work-related circumstances with practical, sound reasoning; and demonstrating creativity in problem solving.
Leadership – displaying good judgment and certainty in decision making; taking initiative with job-related demands; demonstrating innovative thinking and sound planning with business practices; managing individual performance toward shared organizational goals; and thinking strategically to set and accomplish goals.
Merchants Bancorp and its affiliates and subsidiaries are committed to being equal opportunity employers. All job candidates and incumbents will be assessed based on only criteria relevant to successfully performing the job as defined in this job description and as generally accepted in the job’s relevant industries.