The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity, and grit. The newsroom has earned eight Pulitzer Prizes for its hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews, and cultural commentary. An industry-leading innovator in local news, it has been recognized nationally for expanding digital and multimedia reporting platforms alongside its indomitable newspaper, the oldest continuously published daily in the city.
In January 2022, the Sun-Times merged with public radio station WBEZ with a shared mission to strengthen local journalism in Chicago. Under the banner of Chicago Public Media, we are now part of one of the largest nonprofit news organizations in the nation. This merger reinforces our commitment to serving Chicagoans with the news that matters most -– fact-based, unbiased journalism that is deeply connected to Chicago communities.
We are seeking a data-minded individual with strong communication skills to work as a conduit between our digital strategy department and the newsroom. This person will be responsible for collaborating with key stakeholders across the newsroom, and tech and business teams to deliver analyses and recommendations, conduct experiments and produce reports that support our business of providing best-in-class journalism. This position requires a strategic and tactical viewpoint, strong problem-solving skills, and a deep sense of curiosity.
- Provide actionable insights and best practices to editors, reporters, and business leaders through traffic, audience, and conversion analytics in order to achieve newsroom and business objectives
- Effectively communicate high-level data concepts to newsroom and business leaders and translate data into shareable dashboards and reports
- Build relationships with key newsroom editors and establish workflows and feedback loops with key editors
- Automate data workflows as needed to ensure up-to-date dashboards and reports
- Participate in and sometimes lead all phases of analytic work: from problem definition to representation of results
- Formulate insights, championing them and driving them into action
- Democratize data and insights through skillful data structuring and the use of visualization tools
- Expertise with Google Analytics
- Advanced analytical skills with experience collecting, organizing, analyzing, and disseminating abundant information with accuracy
- Experience in working with data visualization tools, building interactive reports, complex dashboards for different audiences, creating calculated KPIs or metrics
- Strong communication and presentation skills – written, visual, and verbal
- Google Sheets/Microsoft Excel proficiency
- A collaborative mindset and sense of curiosity is essential
Nice to have:
- Experience with Python or SQL
- Experience with Google Tag Manager and BigQuery
- Familiarity with Amazon Lambda functions
If you don’t fill all these requirements but believe you have what it takes to succeed in this role, we still encourage you to apply!
What We Offer
- Comprehensive compensation and benefits package
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. CSTM may change the content or format of this job at any time at its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
CSTM does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.