Places are changing, becoming more influential and requiring outside-the- box thinking around how places integrate into today’s evolving lifestyles. Streetsense is seeking an experienced Placemaker / Designer to join its growing team in Washington DC. Our consulting teams shape urban and mixed-use environments holistically, creating places that enhance people’s lives. We work on a broad range of project types that include complicated neighborhoods, mixed-use developments, corporate campuses, streetscapes, public and private parks, and waterfront environments -- across all asset classes, including retail, office, hospitality, residential and civic uses, as well as the public realm that occupies the spaces between them.
The best solutions to our client’s project needs foster a connected community through a holistic, multi-discipline approach to placemaking, spatial design, and human connections. You will work on projects at multiple scales, requiring a comprehensive understanding of a masterplan for a new district, a new mixed-use development, a boutique retail environment, street, and sidewalk activation and more. It is a skillset that must include a high-level concept vision that follows through to the small details. Our team employs multiple disciplines, with a passion for storytelling, brand, and design.
We are looking for a forward-thinking placemaker / designer who will listen to a broad spectrum of stakeholders with open ears and who can see new possibilities with open eyes, tackling design challenges of the built environment with a unique set of skills that push the current placemaking mindset into new territory. The ideal candidate is a big (and new) ideas person with strong visual communication skills, an aptitude for data-informed design, and a collaborative mindset.
This role would report into our Real Estate Strategy team and will collaborate with multiple teams including Research & Analysis, Brand, Urban Design, Eat & Drink, Public Non-Profit, and Marketing teams.
This is a hands-on role that involves research, analysis, ideation, and a considerable amount of drawing. Hand sketches, inspirational imagery, and digital tools (both 2D and 3D) are used for presentation and deliverable package preparation.
You will be expected to:
- Use research to compare buildings and sites, analyze the effects of design on surrounding fabrics, determine the location of programs, and explore possible building envelopes (storefronts and facades), materials, and the integration of the building envelope into the public realm.
- Incorporate the latest trends regarding transportation, sustainability, and community engagement into the work.
- Develop connections and relationships with the cultural leaders and local influencers in markets where we are working to localize our recommendations
- Design public realm environments that connect people to place
- Generate solutions by providing schemes, design options and ideas to assist in the preparation of presentation packages
- Provide detailed hand sketching for concept development
- Create thoughtful action-oriented presentations
- Conduct image research and cataloging
- Interact with fabricators to develop custom design solutions – as needed
- Proven three-dimensional spacial design experience and capabilities
- Excellent graphics capabilities, including hand-sketching and image boards (or similar) to express clear design intent for placemaking
- 7+ years of relevant experience in working at a strategic/conceptual level
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including hand drafting/sketching skills for “on the spot” discussions with clients and teams
- Self-directed, motivated, professional, and able to contribute and participate in a highly collaborative team environment
- Experienced in blending a high level of creativity with practical solutions
- Excellence in collaborating with a cross-discipline creative team
- Able to think through extremely complex issues and provide recommendations and solutions to our Clients