United Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) is changing the way organizations, communities, schools, governments, and individuals work to fix complex social problems. Together, we can help every child and family succeed at school and life. UWSL’s workplace is fast-paced, friendly, adaptive, and grounded in our core values: relationships, continuous improvement, equity, and results. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefit package, generous paid time off, and hybrid, flexible schedules. People with diverse backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply. Join us in changing the world and giving everyone in our community an equitable opportunity to live their best life.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Sr. Director of Giving and Engagement (GESD) will be active listener who enjoys developing relationships built on trust and a passion for helping children and families in the Salt Lake area. They will be responsible for developing and managing relationships with individuals capable of making major and transformational gifts to United Way of Salt Lake. Most efforts will be focused on identifying, cultivating, and soliciting gift of $50,000 or more.
The GESD will guide discussions to help individuals understand the work and impact of UWSL and connect that impact with their philanthropic passions. The GESD will work independently and collaborate regularly with the CEO, CDO, and Chief Impact Officer to cultivate potential donors and steward existing donors to be sure they recognize the impact of their giving.
The GESD will demonstrate in the core values of United Way of Salt Lake (relationships, continuous improvement, equity, and results) in their daily work.
- Serve as a representative of United Way of Salt Lake to external constituencies to advance relationships and gift conversations.
- Complete meaningful in-person or virtual visits, phone calls, emails, text messages, or other significant interactions.
- Work comfortably and with poise with broad and diverse constituencies, including high net-worth individuals, volunteers, community leaders, business leaders, and government leaders.
- Use strong active listening, written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate ideas to varying audiences.
- Build strong relationships and work across the organization to be able to provide a meaningful and positive experience for UWSL donors.
- Identify and qualify new major gift prospects by developing and executing long and short-range strategies to cultivate, solicit, and steward them, producing a continuous stream of donors capable of making gifts of $50,000 or more.
- Create and manage a balanced portfolio of existing donors, discovery prospects, and donors in a stewardship phase.
- Identify engagement opportunities for individual donors to increase their connection to UWSL, including volunteer opportunities and site visits.
- Participate in the planning and leadership of the overall fundraising strategy for UWSL.
- Maintain accurate and current records and document activity in our donor management database (currently Salesforce)
This is a full-time, exempt position with full benefits. $80,000 – 94,000. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize workloads, and work independently and as part of a team in a flexible and professional manner.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Demonstrated human relations and effective communication through active listening, verbal communication and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, cultivate and steward strong relationships with donors, potential donors and stakeholders to build and maintain lifelong partnerships that align with UWSL.
- Uses strategic thinking to work toward a goal – often with creativity and collaboration.
- Can communicate complex ideas in tangible, understandable, ways.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Five + years of experience in face-to-face fundraising or related field, such as sales.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to write in different tone and voice depending on the audience
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Proficiency in using a customer relationship management database (Salesforce experience highly preferred)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS The employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone and via other devices. The employee must be able to transcribe, read extensively, prepare and analyze data and figures, operate a computer and other standard office machinery.