Come Smile with Us!
Delta Dental of Iowa invites candidates for a Financial Reporting Accountant to join our team. Use your analytical skills to complete accurate financial statements for Delta Dental of Iowa, its subsidiaries and related organizations, both according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Statutory Accounting Principles. You will analyze data to enhance the financial analysis and understanding of Delta Dental of Iowa. You will also be responsible for investment accounting for company investments.
Delta Dental of Iowa provides dental and vision insurance to more than 1.5 million Iowans. As a not-for-profit insurance company, our mission is to improve the health and smiles of the people we serve. We give back to Iowa communities by supporting and funding health and wellness initiatives that make a measurable difference in the overall health of underserved Iowans. Come see why we are passionate about "Bringing Smiles" to our customers. Our team enjoys competitive pay and benefits, an awesome "One Team" approach, and a company culture that fosters "Exceptional Quality Service" and "Leadership at All Levels." Love where you work!
Essential Functions and Principal Accountabilities:
- Responsible for preparing various regulatory filings including the annual/quarterly statutory blanks, AM Best reporting, and certain schedules of the Form 990.
- Responsible for preparing financial surveys as required by Delta Dental Plans Association.
- Responsible for completion of accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Statutory Accounting Principles.
- Responsible for preparing and analyzing the Risk-Based Capital of the company as required by the Iowa Insurance Division.
- Responsible for monitoring the cash positions of the company and reviewing the accuracy of cash transactions in the bank account.
- Assist with external audits including workpaper preparation and audit report preparation.
- Responsible for accounting understanding and performing accounting functions for company investments.
- Responsible for preparing various management reports to senior leadership and other target audiences as required.
- Responsible for updating claims payments to HDS and balancing cash received for the month.
- Prepare cashflow projections for senior leadership. Review and analyze the data providing information to executive leadership with explanations of cash changes.
- Responsible for promoting the service quality efforts of the company and is committed to developing a team environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with three or more years of relevant experience.
- Familiarity with GAAP. Preference for SAP accounting principles as they relate to the insurance industry.
- Effective analytical skills and problem-solving capability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and human relation skills.
- High level of proficiency with query tools and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously.
- CPA certificate preferred.
Delta Dental of Iowa is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons without unlawful regard of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, individuals with disabilities, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.