SERA is a firm of learners, eager to advance the resilient and equitable outcomes we want to see for our communities and the planet. Our 100% employee-owned firm promotes a collaborative environment where every staff member’s unique strengths and contributions are valued. Sustainability, urbanism, and community-building are intrinsic to the ways we think and work. We’re not afraid of the gnarly problems that come with this territory; in fact, some of our favorite workdays wrap up around the kegerator passionately hashing out the next, better idea.
What you’ll do
You’ll be working with protect teams across the firm to administer the Quality Management Program.
Why is this role important?
This role is key to promoting consistent quality of the documents and managing risk.
This position oversees the assignment and execution of the various Quality Management program components.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead the Quality Management (QM) Program. This includes conducting kick-off meetings with project teams to understand project specifics and risks, developing an appropriate technical charrette and quality review schedule, and tracking project compliance.
2. Perform QC reviews and participate in technical charettes. Identify trends and issues related to the QM process to recommend training and provide feedback loop to the various stakeholders throughout the office.
3. Provide phase appropriate reviews of documents including consultant coordination, general constructability, validating product applications ,compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and office standards.
4. Act as an advocate for Quality Management program, lead education and training of Quality related topics and mentor staff on the importance, structure, contents, and role of QA/QC in projects.
5. Maintain and improve the QA checklists to account for SERA’s diverse project and studio types.
6. Work with PMs to establish appropriate staffing and project fees for the Quality Management program.
7. Participate in team meetings as needed to support the project’s technical goals and to report review findings back to the project team.
8. Demonstrate a high-level understanding of SERA office Quality Management program, SERA process manual, specifications, and document standards.
9. Provide direction for architectural product vendor presentations and educational meetings.
10. Be a recognized expert and essential resource to other SERA staff.
1. Assist project teams regarding constructability of designs.
2. Perform page turns with junior staff between QC reviews.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Education + Experience
· Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
· 10 or more years of experience in construction document preparation and extensive field experience with a minimum 3 years of quality assurance background.
· Licensed architect preferred. Oregon and/or California registration preferred.
· Demonstrated participation in the preparation of contract documents of the following: new buildings and renovations of existing buildings, office tenant improvements, higher educational, office buildings, hotel/hospitality, Public and Government Facilities, multi-family housing uses, site improvements, and landscape architecture.
· Construction Document Technologist (CDT) certification and/or Certified Construction Specifier (CCS) preferred.
· Proficiency with the following computer programs: MS Office Suite, BSD SpecLink, Bluebeam.
· Familiarity with Autodesk Revit preferred.
· LEED AP preferred.
What you’ll bring:
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to provide answers to technical inquiries and deliver presentations on research to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
· Demonstrated technical proficiency with documentation, drafting conventions, building codes, zoning, accessibility, and other regulatory agencies.
· High level of understanding and familiarity of the International Building Code (IBC); familiarity with relevant jurisdictional specific requirements.
· An understanding of the relevant jurisdictional specific building permitting process preferred.
· Understand various construction and project delivery types.
· Advanced knowledge in construction document preparation, building constructability and building materials and their uses and limits.
· Advanced organization skills and a high attention to detail.
· Knowledge sufficient to qualify as an expert, an internal consultant, or a resource to SERA staff.
· Advanced interpersonal skills.
· Knowledge of and passion for sustainable design methodologies and techniques.
COVID-19 considerations: Proof of COVID-19 Vaccine (required)
SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.