We offer excellent benefits including free medical insurance and over six weeks of paid time off for full time employees!
Avesta Housing is a nonprofit affordable housing provider with over 45 years of experience as a leader in affordable housing development and property management in southern Maine and New Hampshire. We care deeply about improving lives and our communities. When it comes to our staff, we strive to create strong teams, meaningful career growth, and outstanding work environments.
What we’re looking for
Avesta Housing is seeking an organized team player to fill our need for the position of full time landscaper | snow removal hand crew in our Greater Portland locations. This position will provide routine and new grounds keeping services for our properties ensuring that grounds are safely maintained. In the winter, landscapers will plow, remove snow, shovel, sand and salt walkways.
POSITION SUMMARY: It is the responsibility of the Landscaper to perform routine and new groundskeeping activities for Avesta Housing. The primary functions of this position include but are not limited to; maintenance of existing property grounds, construction of new outdoor areas, and establishing a positive and productive working relationship with all departments while adhering to the organization’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
LANDSCAPING FUNCTIONS (May-October)
- Cut lawn using hand, power or riding mower and trim and edge around walks, flower beds, and walls.
- Landscape with flowers, grass, and shrubs, and maintain landscaping design and ensure plant survival.
- Rake, mulch, sweep walkways, and prune grounds as needed.
- Remove leaves, debris and trim shrubs and tree limbs as needed.
- Perform maintenance to landscape structures and hardscape walkways.
- Perform maintenance on equipment utilized in groundskeeping.
SNOW REMOVAL FUNCTIONS (November-April)
- (Optional) Ability to plow using trucks.
- Run hand equipment such as snow blowers, Toro Grandstand, Ventrac machines and shovels.
- Ability to perform through the night during cold temperatures and long hours.
- Ensure that walkways are maintained with salt/sand to ensure that there is no ice build up on property walkways or drive lanes.
- Perform final clean-ups after storm ends.
- On-call hours are required for early ice checks at all of our maintained properties.
- Perform maintenance on equipment utilized during snow removal.
YEAR-ROUND ESSENTIAL FUNTIONS:
- Ensure that grounds are safely maintained and in compliance with Avesta Housing standards.
- Work alongside property management team and maintenance.
- Follow safety procedures and report hazards promptly.
- Ensure cleanliness of all properties.
- Adhere to all applicable state, federal, and Agency rules, policies, procedures, including Fair Housing.
- Maintain resident confidentiality.
- Perform maintenance on equipment utilized to perform job.
- Embody core values of Avesta Housing at all times.
- Must value and foster an environment that ensures respect, support and safety for all members of the Avesta community, and actively promote the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from having a diverse and inclusive community.
- Ensure that all external common areas are kept clean in accordance with Agency policy.
- Recommend efficiencies or areas of improvement when relevant.
- Maintain good working relationships with residents and other staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Valid driver's license.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Previous landscaping experience preferred.
- Ability to make decisions and use sound judgement.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and verbal English.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn new software as needed.
- Comfort with technology in general to work with Agency tools and systems.
- Flexible with work schedule; willing to work long hours, evenings, weekends and overtime (especially during winter months).
Benefits: Excellent benefit package including employer paid health, dental, vision, 401(k) with immediate vested match, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life, long and short term disability, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and generous earned time. Excellent working environment.