Job Summary: The Chart Assembler/Analyzer is responsible for securing and maintaining the patient’s health record upon discharge from the hospital. This position verifies and ensures receipt of all patient records and assembles the documentation into the legal medical record. The Chart Assembler/Analyzer analyzes the record for chart completion deficiencies in accordance with regulatory requirements and Medical Staff Rules and Regulations. All loose reports the Health Information Management department receives are patient identified, sorted and filed into the legal medical record, as appropriate. Customer Service is integral to the position as the Chart Assembler/Analyzer is also responsible for answering telephone calls and assisting visitors (including but not limited to physicians, patients and their family members), while maintaining confidentiality. The Chart Assembler/Analyzer will further support the department needs through assistance in any of the Chart Coordinator, Release of Information, or other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Experience with accurate alphabetic and numeric filing.
- One year hospital experience.
- Knowledge of terminal digit filing and medical terminology.
- Accurate typing speed of 35 wpm; preferred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrates knowledge of basic medical terminology related to performance of job duties.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of terminal digit filing systems and concepts of unit records.
- Demonstrates ability to accurately and efficiently utilize the hospital information system and MPI print-out to research a medical record number.
- Demonstrates complete knowledge of the principles of medical documentation.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze records: knowledge of documentation requirements & accurately assigns deficiencies to responsible physician.
- Maintains confidentiality, protecting patient information at all times.
- Maintains the unit record system by combining all patient records into one color coded folder.
- In an accurate and timely manner assemble the discharged records into the legal medical record per established chart order, and verify each document belongs to that record.
- Accurate preparation of medical record folders according to department procedures.
- Must be highly motivated and willing to assume additional jobs and duties as needed.
- Must be able to handle stress of working efficiently with frequent interruptions and distractions.
- Hours must be flexible to accommodate for unscheduled events.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Must have clinical knowledge.
- Sitting 4-8 hours a day
- Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds
- Wrist deviation (side to side and up and down) 4-8 hours a day