About Second Stage Theater
At Second Stage, we create and champion plays and musicals solely from living American writers. On our mainstage Broadway theater, the Hayes, and in our two Off Broadway theaters over the past 40 years, we have developed and presented over 200 daring and provocative theatrical experiences by working with countless artists who have contributed their talents to our award-winning productions. As the only Broadway company exclusively devoted to living American writers Second Stage is dedicated to introducing the world to bold and diverse voices of American creativity.
The Director of Individual Giving is a self-directed and goal-driven fundraising professional who will serve as a core member of the Development Department. Reporting directly to the Director of Development, the Director of Individual Giving oversees all individual giving fundraising efforts for Second Stage and is tasked with expanding its individual major donor base. Major donors support the theater with annual gifts of $10,000 or more. The ideal candidate will have significant experience as a front-line fundraiser, demonstrated success with major gift program creation and major gift solicitations, and strong managerial and communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Cultivate and steward a portfolio of prospects and donors, and develop and implement engagement and solicitation plans for each of them by using plans and moves management strategies
- Work closely with the Director of Development in instituting long-term plans for Individual Giving contributed revenue goals, with overall annual contributed revenue from individuals in excess of $1.7 million
- Work closely with the Director of Development to create and manage the annual budget for Individual Giving at Second Stage
- Meet Second Stage’s contributed income goals for overall Individual Giving, including the Friends of Second Stage membership program, our Champs program and assisting with major gift solicitations
- Working with the Manager of Development Operations, ensure the accurate and timely reporting and tracking of gifts, solicitations schedules, and membership collateral
- Work with the Artistic team and the Development Director to create an exciting set of experiences designed to encourage donors to deepen their relationship with 2ST
- Manage the Membership Benefits Associate and the Membership Manager
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience with increasing responsibility in development, preferably in a theater or other cultural/arts organization
- Track record of successfully securing gifts from individual donors ranging from annual contributions to major gifts
- Management and leadership skills necessary to support and coach a team of development professionals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of Tessitura strongly preferred
Compensation: Salary starting at $90,000 Second Stage offers a full benefits package.
Benefits: Second Stage offers a full benefits package including vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and long-term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Second Stage values diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is an inclusive employer.
Second Stage is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.