Remote, Boston area preferred/Full-Time
We are a rapidly growing technology company providing electric utilities with the real-time monitoring and analytics needed to secure the future of the grid. Our patented non-contact sensors collect critical information to unlock additional capacity on existing lines, provide insight into conductor health, and detect anomalies and risks. The platform is rapidly deployed at scale without the need for scheduled outages, live line work, or specialized installation equipment. We are helping our utility partners around the world lead the energy transition by increasing the capacity, resilience, and safety of the grid.
The Mechanical Engineer will be an integral member of LineVision’s Engineering team and will take ownership of mechanical aspects of our products, to ensure the highest quality in our new products, and improving quality in our existing products.
This position will report to the Director of Engineering, and work closely with the Hardware, R+D, Quality/Manufacturing and Operations teams.
What will you do?
- Own or provide oversight for the Mechanical aspects of our products.
- Hands-on mechanical design and prototyping for our products and manufacturing test fixtures.
- Work with the team to guide mechanical development of our new products.
- Work closely with our Manufacturing, Electrical and Test Engineers to bring up new products
- Work closely with our manufacturing engineer, contract manufacturers and vendors to transfer designs and resolve quality issues.
- Review mounting/install questions brought to the engineering team by our install team.
Within Three Months, You'll
- Learn our existing products and evaluate issues with our existing products and suggest improvements.
- Weighing in on mechanical aspects of our current new product development.
- Work with our manufacturing engineer and contract manufacturers to resolve product and production issues.
- Test our products to validate design aspects.
Within Six Months, You'll
- Collect input from our installation team, and develop better ways to mount and install our products.
- Design fixtures and equipment to accelerate testing and processing of products.
- Take our products through compliance testing. (Environmental, etc)
- Be working with R+D to add sensors and functionality to our new products.
- Scoping out new platforms and technologies for our new products.
Within a Year and Beyond, You'll
- Be architecting and developing next generation mechanical platforms for our new products and sensors..
What do you need to succeed in this role?
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical degree, M.S. preferred, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of related experience.
- Proficiency in Solidworks, AutoCAD, or similar CAD software
- Experience drafting/drawing experience for manufacturing and customer facing documents.
- Experience with DFM/DFA methodology and writing supporting documentation
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping tools and equipment
- Hands-on mechanical design of off grid electronic equipment that will live outdoors in harsh environments.
- Experience with the full product lifecycle, from working cross-disciplinary with design teams to bringing up new products with a manufacturer.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other departments to assist with production and field issues.
- Willingness to occasionally travel to contract manufacturers, remote offices and/or customer install locations.
What does joining LineVision mean for you?
- Impact. Your talent, time, and energy will critically impact our success in providing utilities around the world with solutions to increase the flexibility, efficiency and safety of their grids for a cleaner and electrified future
- Growth. As a communicator with experience in the design and bringing up of products through the validation, certification and manufacturing process, you will have the opportunity to participate in new product design, and support the mechanical aspects of deployment of our systems to the field by operations. You will be working on existing products, custom variants and new products, and will choose when to build and when to hack. You will be leading and advocating for the mechanical aspects of our products.
- Distinction. You will inspire the future by being part of a team that introduces a fundamentally differentiated solution to utilities that helps solve the challenges they face in updating and increasing the capacity of the current grid system
- Ownership. You hold broad responsibilities with high autonomy in a communicative, collaborative, and fast-paced environment
Who we are...
- We are a team of dedicated individuals who are passionate about helping to solve the biggest challenges facing today’s electric grid
- We believe unlocking transmission capacity is critical to the resilience of our future grid and the ability to integrate renewables at scale
- We value and benefit from the wide-ranging perspectives that come from a diverse and inclusive work environment
- We are committed to providing:
- Situational awareness to help grid operators make informed decisions on the physical position of their conductors that can help to prevent damage and fires
- Dynamic Line Ratings to increase capacity by up to 40% on existing transmission lines with real-time monitoring while improving reliability & safety
- Asset health monitoring to improve maintenance strategies by creating a digital twin to determine the true conductor health
LineVision Inc is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.