Plan, create, and conduct microbiological experiments supporting Sterilex R&D, new product development, and innovation initiatives and objectives. Support quality assurance, quality control, manufacturing, and regulatory functions. General responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
· Use fundamental scientific principles, theories, practices, and existing technologies of microbiology to develop solutions for technical problems with low to moderate scope
· Conduct routine and non-routine testing using ASTM, AOAC and other standard methods, internal testing procedures and customer specified project methods
· Coordinate and execute assigned projects and activities; develop project goals and timelines in compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations and guidelines.
This position is regularly scheduled to be staffed Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with occasional overtime as needed to support department and company business needs. Will need to work on-site approx. 1 hour 1-3 weekend days per month (i.e., culture transfers).
JOB ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
· Design, conduct and evaluate experiments that support R&D and innovation projects
· Prepare reagents, media, etc. as needed to support experiments
· Independently lead specified R&D initiatives of limited to moderate scope/complexity as defined by supervisor
· Work as part of a team to adapt, modify, or develop new test methods and procedures and design/validate new test fixtures and field-testing capabilities
· Strengthen R&D by contributing new innovative ideas
· Ensure upkeep of the microbiology laboratory including maintaining lab inventory, preparing and cleaning lab instruments, and ensuring all work areas are clean
· Compile and document results, draw conclusions, provide recommendations supported by experiments, and develop follow-up experiments as appropriate
· Prepare and present written and oral reports on research findings, project status, literature reviews, and technical issues that affect the business
· Report results and recommendations to management
· Use experience to propose improvements to company products and processes
· Coordinate and collaborate with internal and external functions to meet project goals and timelines. Interface effectively with Sterilex scientific, business development, and management staff to understand Sterilex markets, innovation, and product development goals
· Perform other duties as requested in support of the department and company business needs
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· B.S. in Microbiology or related degree from a four-year college or university. Post education experience working in a microbiology laboratory setting preferred.
· Fundamental knowledge in conducting routine and established microbiology laboratory procedures using excellent aseptic technique
· Experience with handling pathogenic bacteria in a biosafety level 2 environment (BSL-2).
· Experience with antimicrobial testing and/or biofilm methods a plus
· Experience with GLP a plus
· Good understanding of industrial laboratory processes and procedures including proper maintenance of laboratory notebooks and general laboratory safety procedures is preferred
· Must perform well under pressure and deadlines
· Good written and oral communication skills and effective interpersonal skills
· Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
· Proficient in MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook programs to operate equipment, and other related software
· Demonstrated skill in working independently and as a team player to achieve technical goals with minimal technical supervision
· Ability to multi-task and balance priorities