TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
We are seeking a Community Forestry Associate to join our Community Forestry team. This program engages, inspires, and supports residents to take environmental action in their communities. This position will support the Urban Forestry Team tree planting and maintenance efforts within communities within the Los Angeles area.
- Support organizing community planting and tree care events with local volunteers.
- Plant 15-gallon street trees and driving a truck/water tank to water those trees on a regular basis.
- Assist with community workshops and volunteer-led events, attend site visits, and help manage and maintain TreePeople’s tool inventory.
- Maintain communication with community volunteers to carry out necessary tree care until the community is self-sustaining in the stewardship of their trees.
- Gather, monitor and track data of tree plantings through GPS and site maps to comply with funding reporting and to ensure successful implementation of tree maintenance plans.
- Participate and represent TreePeople at meetings, fundraising, marketing, membership and volunteer events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong leadership, team-building and problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized, friendly, smart, proactive and a quick-learner.
- Literate and interested in local climate resilience and environmental issues impacting communities throughout Southern California.
- Spanish fluency is highly desired.
- Valid CA Driver’s license and clean driving record desired to perform job-related essential functions.
- Requires frequent heavy lifting over 25 lbs., often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces, and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.
- Available to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends.
- Knowledge of or resides in one of the following communities: Huntington Park, Cudahy, South Gate, Lynwood, Watts or in surrounding cities is strongly desired.