For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Under the direct supervision of the Office Manager, the Office Assistant provides administrative and office support activities, prepares correspondence, greets visitors and provides information, processes forms, maintains database information, organizes and files information, and serves as a liaison with service personnel.
- Answer incoming telephone calls and properly distribute them to appropriate recipients. This includes but is not limited to taking messages, forwarding a caller to voice mail, and referring a caller to another organization.
- Greet each visitor to the office, determine reason for visit and notify appropriate staff of the visitor's presence. When the visitor is a prospective client, briefly determine whether the assistance needed is offered by Legal Aid Chicago and either refer the visitor (complex issues may require the assistance of an intake specialist, paralegal or attorney) to an appropriate resource or begin the client registration process.
- Sort, date stamp and distribute incoming mail and other materials; stamp and post outgoing mail.
- Arrange for messenger service, UPS, Federal Express or other delivery. Receive deliveries and dispose of them in the appropriate manner.
- Receive, deliver and mail packages, and may be responsible for ordering and storing office supplies.
- Copy, collate, and scan documents.
- Perform light typing or word processing as required, including letters, forms, and memoranda.
- Maintain proficiency with all equipment, computer hardware and software necessary to perform the duties of the position.
Requirements at this level consist of a High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of customer service or administrative support experience. Spanish fluency is required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
Resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information of two professional references are required to apply. No phone calls, please.
Legal Aid Chicago is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status, or ex-offender status. Applicants who have experiences with our client communities are encouraged to apply.