The Virtual Self -Help (VSHC) attorney is responsible for providing legal assistance to eligible clients and conducting virtual legal clinics to low-income Texans in rural areas across the state.
The attorney in this position is expected to:
Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards; embrace and support TLSC’s overall mission; and comply with all grant requirements, regulations, standards, policies, and confidentiality requirements.
This is a grant funded position.
- Provide high quality legal advice, assistance, and referrals to eligible clients, including through TexasLawHelp LiveChat, in a patient, compassionate, culturally-sensitive, and trauma-informed manner.
- Conduct intake interviews, confirm eligibility for services, and check for conflicts of interest according to TLSC policy.
- Assist clients in drafting and filing legal documents.
- Work with rural community hosts to facilitate monthly virtual legal clinics.
- Travel to remote locations to conduct training and outreach activities.
- Assist clients with navigating the TexasLawHelp website.
- Coordinate projects between VHSC, within the practice area group, within TLSC, and organizations outside of TLSC.
- Train and lead law students, volunteers, and interns for TexasLawHelp LiveChat.
- Identify need for publications to assist self-represented litigants for both print and web-publication for TexasLawHelp.
- Draft and update legal information publications, tools, and forms for TexasLawHelp.
- Ensure all client, project, and computer files are maintained in an orderly manner.
- Provide all information needed/requested for TLSC-reporting in a prompt manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- J.D. Degree.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas within six months of hire date.
- Minimum 2 years of family law experience.
- Fluency in Spanish
- Current knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system, especially in areas that impact family law.
- Advance level project management skills.
- High level organization skills.
- Strong time management and attention to detail skills.
- Exceptional verbal, listening, and written communications skills.
- Proficiency with (or the ability to learn) LegalServer (TLSC’s case management system), Adobe, Microsoft Office products, G Suite apps, and social media tools.
- Understanding of grant requirements and associated reporting needs.
- Ability to travel to remote locations.
- Ability to work with clients in a patient, trauma-informed and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to enter information into system accurately.
- Experience using or ability to learn technology, including virtual meeting software/technology, such as Zoom or Skype
- Sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time.
- Occasional bending, squatting and kneeling.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force is needed at times to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.