American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. AFT launched the conservation agriculture movement and continues to raise public awareness through our No Farms, No Food message. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and supported thousands of farm families. Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
The Membership Coordinator, Direct Marketing is a junior position ideally suited for an energetic, detail-oriented, self-starter seeking a career in fundraising, placing special focus on direct mail and membership.
The Membership Coordinator, Direct Marketing is a junior position that reports to the Director of Annual Giving and works with AFT’s direct mail consultants, and the fundraising team to ensure the smooth and timely facilitation of the membership program. The Membership Coordinator coordinates direct mail production, and membership services, among other tasks. This is a full-time position based out of AFT’s National Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Working with the Director of Annual Giving and affiliated vendors, this position drives much of the day-to-day as it relates to direct mail production. This includes, review of direct mail packages and newsletters; writing and designing buckslips, ads, and copy for Farmer’s Almanac; helping to manage caging service including coding receipts, data entry, and credit card payments; monitor postal accounts and ensures adequate postage balance, among other invoices; helping to both feed and pull data for mailings; and providing excellent customer service to AFT Members.
- Lead membership services: ensure members received timely acknowledgement of gifts (in collaboration with Donor Relations Coordinator); respond to mail/800 number/Web site inquiries from membership program; complete matching gift applications; and assist with the coding of membership gifts.
- Update monthly tracking and revenue reports, and prepare ad-hoc reports.
- Working with the Membership Coordinator, Online & Special Projects, assist in the growth of the sustaining members program, including: cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; following up with expiring gifts/credit cards; and helping to facilitate direct mail solicitations targeted to this group.
- Assist with other membership initiatives, including preparing Workplace Giving applications; helping launch Telemarketing program; working with fundraising consultant to implement New Member Welcome Packet, among others.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A BA/BS degree required or equivalent education.
- 1-2 years of administrative experience; development, environmental, non-profit experience a bonus.
- The ideal candidate will be extremely detailed-oriented, proactive, and able to work efficiently and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- S/he will possess a sincere commitment to personalized customer service.
- Experience with nonprofits, fundraising, direct mail production, and/or customer service, a plus.
- Possesses demonstrable time management skills; ability to multi-task and prioritize; and strives for success in meeting established goals and deadlines;
- Is technologically savvy and inquisitive; and skilled in Excel and Word (specifically mail merge); familiarity with donor database software a plus.
- Is a team player that collaborates with colleagues but also can be self-directed;
- Has excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- Expresses enthusiasm; is well-organized; and is a quick learner; and
- Has a commitment to the mission, philosophy, and values of American Farmland Trust.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and background. AFT provides a full and generous benefits package.
Please include a cover letter with resume for consideration.
American Farmland Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.