Schnitzer West, LLC’s vision, mission, promise, culture, values, and goals are at the heart of every decision made. The Company takes pride in and fiercely protects its 5 Core Fundamental Values:
- Disciplined – Prepare for anything. Anticipate, ask questions, and clarify. Own every moment. Don’t run from risk; mitigate it to create value. Keep your eye on the prize while obsessing over the details.
- Driven – Work with passion and ambition. Be relentless and work with urgency.
- Bold – Pioneer true innovation and be motivated by the unknown. Thrive in uncertainty to outperform the expected.
- Authentic – Work without ego and be a doer, not a talker. Be fair but candid and always willing and able to roll up your sleeves.
- ‘Cowboy Family’ – Be all in with the firm; pushing and protecting each other to achieve greatness and exceed all expectations. Take pride in being a difference maker and for making a material impact.
This unwavering focus makes Schnitzer West, LLC a recognized and well-respected vanguard in the industry and maintains the framework that allows for superior communications, sound decisive decision making, diversity of thought, and unparalleled business practices, rigor, and innovation.
General Position Summary:
This position, under the direction of a lead engineer and/or chief engineer, is responsible for maintenance and repair of all major building systems, including HVAC, mechanical, electrical, security and plumbing, as well as proper operation of the energy management systems for commercial buildings. Position is also responsible for preventive maintenance. Responds to tenant requests for maintenance or repair.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Perform or coordinate with outside vendors to perform maintenance or repair of all building systems, including working on HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and energy management systems.
- Respond to and handle service requests from tenants in conjunction with company work order system.
- Handle fire and life safety issues, which include monitoring safety compliance; testing and maintenance of alarms and sprinklers; maintenance and repair of control and key systems.
- Review and actively participate in contract management. May be tasked with writing job specifications and developing bid packages; analyze contractors, contract compliance, contracts, costs and insurance.
- Research equipment malfunction to correctly diagnose problems; repair failed equipment throughout the building.
- Work with the day porter as needed and oversee response to janitorial issues or problems.
- Handle issues related to buildings: punch list, warranty issues, new tenant training and problem solving, new contract facilitation.
- Maintain safe and clean work area.
- Assist in refurbishment of vacant space.
- Needs to be on-call after business hours and is willing to work overtime as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Note: Skills required vary somewhat by building or property, with larger commercial properties requiring the highest level of technical knowledge and skills. The skills noted below are those generally needed for this position.
Knowledge of all building systems, including HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, security and energy management systems.
- Ability to use various hand and power tools appropriately.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to tactfully handle complaints and negotiate disagreements.
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
- Good customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of people and to respond appropriately to customer complaints and requests.
- Ability to deal with interruptions and to successfully manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work effectively in a team situation and to work cooperatively with other staff.
- Creativity to solve new or unique problems.
- Working knowledge of basic office machines and computer software (Windows, Outlook).
Education and Experience:
- This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, plus a minimum of two years vocational training specializing in HVAC or a similar program preferred.
- Two to four years’ experience in building maintenance and engineering, or equivalent.
- The incumbent must hold, or be able to obtain, a Washington 07-Electrical license, or the equivalent in the state of employment.
- Certificates in plumbing, mechanical, electrical and boiler or completion of certified training programs is also desirable, as is factory training in one or more energy management systems.
- Driver’s license required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job are close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is required to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Schnitzer West is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Ability to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.