U.S. Soccer Overview
We are the future of sport, and our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We are one of the most inclusive sports in the world and take a fan and audience centric approach to engage our audiences around shared passions to unite the nation and drive the growth of the sport. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create, and work as part of a team.
The next 10 years serves as a moment in time unlike any other for the sport of soccer in the United States. With the sport thriving and U.S. Soccer’s Senior, Youth and Extended National Teams achieving success on and off the field, and the FIFA World Cup on U.S. soil in 2026, there has never been a better time to join the soccer movement!
U.S. Soccer is looking for an exceptional leader to oversee all U.S. Soccer content strategy, planning, development, production, and distribution of multi-format content across multiple platforms. With content operating as an even bigger and more critical driver of future value and growth for the organization, this person will serve as a key leader within the marketing department to help drive the vision and direction for U.S. Soccer content, consistent with Federation goals.
Reporting into the VP of Marketing and working closely with multiple stakeholders across the organization, the Content Director is responsible for the development and execution of U.S. Soccer’s short and long-term content strategies and processes in effort to elevate the profile of U.S. Soccer, increase audience engagement and help drive commercial value.
The person in this role will be responsible for managing the creation of written, video, photo and audio content that will be distributed primarily in social, on ussoccer.com, the U.S. Soccer app, third party platforms, and linear broadcast networks. This person will be immensely creative and curious, process driven, relationship oriented and has an ability to think and plan strategically in collaboration with others.
Responsible for strategy & planning for all U.S. Soccer content
- Develop and map content strategies and plans based on Federation goals and marketing objectives and aligned with U.S. Soccer narratives across all areas of the organization, including, but not limited to, Women's National Team, Men's National Team, Youth National Teams, Extended National Teams, Open Cup, Coaching, Refereeing, Sport Development, Membership and other Federation platforms and programs.
- Leads content planning and development of content calendars, content briefs and content plans to ensure plans are developed and distributed across the organization in advance to key stakeholders.
- Partner with insights and analytics teams to set learning agenda, establish performance goals and take an insight-based approach to content strategy and optimization.
- Work closely with Corporate Partnerships and Business Development and other stakeholders to monetize existing content and explore new content opportunities and extensions as applicable.
- Develop relationships with distribution partners and platforms, stay up to date and informed on industry best practices and trends and lead continual development of new, innovative ideas to strengthen our connection with fans and drive brand value.
Develop and manage internal staff and external anciencies, freelancers and stakeholders
- Build, manage and develop growing team of internal content managers, social media managers, and U.S. Soccer’s in-house video and production teams.
- Generate and facilitate relationships with internal creative department, creative agencies and production groups, freelancers and content creators (influencers, players, etc.) who can help bring U.S. Soccer’s content strategy and vision to life.
Oversee content execution and distribution
- Ensure content is on strategy and on brand and optimized by channel to maximize user experience and contribute to the overall brand narrative of U.S. Soccer.
- Work with internal and external contributors to lead the production, editing and organization of content to meet or exceed deadlines and expectations.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to distribute and publish channel specific content across U.S. Soccer’s owned and operated platforms as well as across 3rd party distribution platforms and partners.
- Bachelor's degree required
- 8+ years of experience with digital content strategy and creation and proven ability to use content to further brand and business objectives
- Passion for creativity, storytelling, design, and elevating brands through digital mediums
- Exhibits a genuine desire and passion for the business
- Hands on experience in management, ideation, production and execution of breakthrough, compelling, and creative content
- Strong understanding of digital media, including all types of content, social media, websites, etc. as well as the content distribution landscape and the advantages of different distribution strategies and platforms
- Comfortable using data to develop and optimize strategy. Proficient in Google Analytics and Tableau (Google GA certification is a plus)
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects on varying timelines
- Self-starter with strong organizational and collaboration skills
- Effective communication skills (both oral and written)
- Knowledgeable and interested in keeping up with the latest trends in pop culture, design, music, lifestyle, fashion, etc.
- Experience building, managing and leading high performing teams
- Able and willing to travel up to 40% of the time
- When not traveling for work, able to work out of U.S. Soccer’s headquarters in Chicago, Illinois
- Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
- Previous experience in sports
- Makes leadership and development of others a priority
- Embraces and sees learning as a lifelong pursuit
- Possesses a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Communicate in a direct, open, and honest manner
- Practices self-assessment and self-reflection
- Open to constructive feedback and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Builds relationships through genuine interpersonal skills
- Proficient with Asana or other project management tool
- U.S. Soccer has mandated the Covid-19 vaccine and is requiring all staff to be fully vaccinated at the start of employment