Shorter Summer Hours! Paid Professional Development! Awesome Benefits!
Smith Schafer is currently seeking a full-time Accountant to join our team to help deliver high-quality services to our clients.
Smith Schafer is a community-oriented accounting and consulting firm with offices in Rochester, Minneapolis, and Red Wing. Smith Schafer has consistently earned a spot on the Star Tribune Minnesota Top Workplace list, and 95% of our team members say they feel genuinely appreciated at Smith Schafer.
We offer competitive compensation, opportunities for professional development, flexible schedule options to allow for a work/life balance, and much more.
Smith Schafer & Associates is currently seeking an Accounting Professional to join their team and delivery accounting and payroll related solutions to our clients. The range of responsibilities include, but not limited to, managing projects in payroll and accounting services department, providing consultation to employees and clients, and conducting accounting and payroll research and ensuring compliance. A person in this role will continue to learn, understand, and effectively use current accounting and payroll software applications. This person will have the opportunity to organize and manage client assignments and projects.
- Processes client payroll, general ledger, bank reconciliations, financial statements, etc.
- Implements best practices, accounting, and client service techniques.
- Understands and effectively uses current payroll and accounting software applications in completion of engagements.
- Reviews the work of staff accountants and seasonal interns.
- Ensures all client deliverable (financials, reports, tax filings, etc.) are completed in an accurate, professional, and timely manner.
- Researches answers and solutions independently and with supervision to provide information and organize content for internal and external clients.
- Uses online and desk-top QuickBooks software to track/manage expenses and keeps track of daily transactions (invoice customers, pay bills, generate reports, review financial statements for compliance, missing data, or duplication and more) for our clients.
- One year of accounting and payroll experience or similar office experience in a financial services company.
- Accounting experience includes but not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of the regulatory requirements of processing payroll accounting transactions and payroll returns. Generates W-2's and 1099’s for clients.
- Knowledge of general ledger and year-end adjustments for cash and accrual basis entities.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Strong technical, analytical and organizational skills.
- BA/BS or an Associate's degree in Accounting or related field.
- 2 or more years of similar work experience within a Public Accounting Firm.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks and 1-year experience with Sage, Excel, Engagement and Tax Accounting software.
Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, stand or sit for extended periods of time, as well as type/enter data at a keyboard regularly.
Smith Schafer is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer