Why join our team? Smith Schafer has consistently earned a spot on the Star Tribune Minnesota Top Workplace list and 95% of our team members say that they feel genuinely appreciated at Smith Schafer. Our culture is a top priority
As an award-winning CPA firm, we have been featured on Forbes Top Tax Firm list, awarded Best of Accounting Client Satisfaction by ClearlyRated, and named a Top 175 Workplace in Minnesota by the Star Tribune.
At Smith Schafer, your investment of time and expertise will be rewarded with competitive pay, benefits, career opportunities, and professional development.
The Accountant will oversee the delivery of accounting and payroll related solutions to Smith Schafer & Associates clients. The range of responsibilities include, but not limited to, managing projects in payroll and accounting services department, providing consultation to employees and clients, and conducting accounting and payroll research and ensuring compliance. The person in this role will continue to learn, understand, and effectively use current accounting and payroll software applications when completing assignments.
- Processes client payroll, general ledger, bank reconciliations, financial statements, etc.
- Implements best practices, accounting and client service techniques.
- Understands and effectively uses current payroll and accounting software applications in completion of engagements.
- Ensures all client deliverable (financials, reports, tax filings, etc.) are completed in an accurate, professional and timely manner.
- Researches answers and solutions independently and with supervision to provide information and organize content for internal and external clients.
- Uses online and desk-top QuickBooks software to track/manage expenses and keeps track of daily transactions (invoice customers, pay bills, generate reports, review financial statements for compliance, missing data or duplication and more) for our clients.
The Accountant will need to have the following experience:
- One or more years of accounting and payroll experience or similar experience in a financial services company.
- Accounting experience includes but not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of the regulatory requirements of processing payroll accounting transactions and payroll returns. Generates W-2's and 1099’s for clients.
- General understanding of S-Corp, business and individual tax and processing financial statements.
- Knowledge of general ledger and year-end adjustments for cash and accrual basis entities.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Strong technical, analytical and organizational skills, must be detail oriented.
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field or an Associates Accounting degree
- 2 or more years of work experience within a Public Accounting Firm
- Expert with QuickBooks and 1-year experience with Sage, Excel, Engagement and Tax Accounting software at a high level of proficiency.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, stand or sit for extended periods of time, as well as type/enter data at a keyboard regularly.
Smith Schafer is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer