Merchants Capital Investments is seeking an experienced Financial Analyst. The Financial Analyst will be responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting on all data and activity for the tax credit equity group as well as preparing documents for the Senior Vice President that are ultimately provided to management.
Expected Outcomes: The primary responsibilities of this position are business process improvement, financial model analysis, data integration and support the Portfolio Management, Syndications, and Acquisitions departments of a real estate investment syndicator. The candidate will be a Microsoft Excel and Office expert working as part of a team building, implementing, and maintaining a proprietary suite of financial analysis tools, systems and processes used to analyze and report on affordable housing, Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) investments. The candidate will be charged with a wide range of analytical, project management and technical tasks and must have the ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others, including non-technical business stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gain an understanding of Portfolio Management’s existing business processes and facilitate improvements.
- Work closely with real estate analysts and senior-level finance experts to review, model, and forecast financial risks and opportunities.
- Advise internal staff and external third parties regarding deal structuring, LIHTC, partnership, and real estate tax matters.
- Effectively communicate with individuals of various backgrounds, experience, and knowledge – be able to bridge the gap between groups having relatively different levels of technology and real estate investment expertise.
- Enhance the capabilities of a Portfolio Management department working in a remote environment across U.S. time zones.
- Oversee the preparation and update of financial analysis and modeling tools designed to provide detailed projections for institutional investors managed investment funds.
- Setup and execute queries and perform data analysis using Power Query and Pivot Table features of Excel and Power BI.
- Review lower-tier partnership tax returns and audits.
- Assist Fund auditors during preliminary and year-end filed work.
This position requires a bachelor’s or master’s degree in business, finance, accounting or a related field and a minimum 1-3 years of experience using Excel to build models and perform financial and data analysis. Candidate must have some programming skills, including experience working with Excel add-ins or macros and experience integrating Excel with databases. Work with Excel tables and charts and automating other Microsoft Office applications would be helpful. Experience in real estate and tax credit investment analysis is highly preferred. Communication and interpersonal skills for collaboration across Merchants Capital Investments, LLC departments on projects.
All employees are expected to contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing requested duties regardless of explicit inclusion in the job description or reasonable relation to an employee’s primary role. Additionally, all employees must understand and adhere to all federal and state laws and banking regulations and company policies and procedures applicable to assigned job responsibilities, including compliance as appropriate under the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations.
Additionally, all employees are expected to demonstrate the following Core Competencies:
Professionalism – acting with responsibility, integrity and accountability; demonstrating consistent trustworthiness and reliability; always remaining flexible, adaptable and willing to accept coaching; building and managing professionally healthy relationships; deliberately managing career decisions; and continually developing awareness of business-related topics.
Communication – understanding various active and passive tools and styles and their effects; and exhibiting appropriate, effective, timely use of tools and styles to connect, collaborate, facilitate teamwork and serve customers.
Work Quality – demonstrating an ongoing commitment to compliance, safety and security; executing work with efficiency, a sense of urgency and attention to detail; and displaying organized work practices and a results-oriented mindset.
Analytical Ability – navigating work-related circumstances with practical, sound reasoning; and demonstrating creativity in problem solving.
Leadership – displaying good judgment and certainty in decision making; taking initiative with job-related demands; demonstrating innovative thinking and sound planning with business practices; managing individual performance toward shared organizational goals; and thinking strategically to set and accomplish goals.
Merchants Bancorp and its affiliates and subsidiaries are committed to being equal opportunity employers. All job candidates and incumbents will be assessed based on only criteria relevant to successfully performing the job as defined in this job description and as generally accepted in the job’s relevant industries.