JOB SUMMARY: The recreation assistant plans recreational programs under the direction of the director of life enrichment and recreation specialists. The recreation assistant implements recreational programs for residents and works directly with residents on units, without direct supervision.
****Working every other SUNDAY
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Assist director of life enrichment and recreation specialist in planning recreation activities designed to meet individual needs and interests, according to established standards.
• Implement recreation program on units, without direct supervision.
• Organize and obtain supplies and equipment as requested.
• Assist recreation specialists as needed.
• Keep daily attendance and document residents’ participation in activities.
• Set up program area as needed.
• Greet residents and inform them of program and destination.
• Encourage residents to attend programs.
• Assist residents to program location and return residents to appropriate units.
• Be familiar with established emergency procedures.
• Be alert to environmental safety hazards, wet floors, faulty equipment and report immediately to supervisor.
• Follow good hand-washing technique per procedure.
• Practice proper body mechanics 100% of the time.
• Cooperate with co-workers and volunteers.
• Provide for dignity of residents, in accordance with Church Home philosophy, at all times.
• Actions and conversations will reflect respect for the residents and their property at all times.
• Be courteous and helpful at all times.
• Attend all staff meetings and in-services as scheduled.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to relate to the elderly in a setting that promotes optimum independence, dignity and respect. Ability to follow verbal and written directions. Ability to effectively communicate and work in a team oriented setting. High degree of reliability.
Good physical and mental health. Ability to provide safe methods of transportation for residents. May be required to push or pull while transporting residents. Ability to interact courteously and tactfully with staff, residents, family members, visitors, vendors and the general public. Posses a Valid NYS Drivers License with a clean driving record.
EDUCATION: Minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Experience or interest in working with older adults. Experience working in a youth or older adult recreation program.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performing duties of this job requires occasional walking and standing. Must be able to occasionally lift loads of 30 pounds without assistance and the ability to sit, talk, and hear is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.