Avesta Housing is a nonprofit affordable housing provider with over 45 years of experience as a leader in affordable housing development and property management in southern Maine and New Hampshire. Our organization is headquartered in Portland, Maine and currently has more than 98 properties and 2,700 apartments in its portfolio. We have a mission to improve lives and strengthen communities by promoting and providing quality affordable homes for people in need. We do this by focusing on advocacy, real estate development, property management, senior and assisted living, and home ownership.
As a nonprofit organization, we care deeply about people – those who urgently need safe, affordable housing and those living in the homes we develop and manage. And we care deeply about our employees who work hard to support them. When it comes to our staff, we strive to create strong teams, meaningful career growth, and outstanding work environments.
We need a compassionate, organized Property Manager who can ensure that an assigned portfolio of properties operate efficiently, and in compliance with applicable regulations. Our ideal candidate will share our passion for our mission while exemplifying our four core values of humanity, stewardship, relationships, and quality. This position qualifies applicants and ensures the success of our residents by helping to maintain a safe, quality place for them to live. Experience with Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties and/or affordable housing for this position is preferred. The Property Manager serves on the front-lines and really makes a difference in the lives of our residents.
This position requires travel throughout York county.
POSITION SUMMARY: Work closely with site management staff to ensure the financial, physical, compliance, and overall operational health of an assigned portfolio of property by providing excellent customer service and quality living environment to all residents, establishing positive and productive working relationships, and adhering to the agency’s mission statement and core values.
- Collaborate with other property management staff to manage day-to-day operations of communities within assigned portfolio.
- Coordinate all aspects of move-in and move-out process (show units, sign leases, complete necessary inspections, assess damages, etc.) within established timeframes.
- Ensure annual recertifications and lease renewals are accurately completed within established timeframes.
- Understand and adhere to all Avesta policies and procedures and any related regulatory agency rules and regulations, including Affirmative Fair Market Housing Plans and any funding program requirements.
- Perform annual unit, monthly site, and other inspections (i.e. REAC) in compliance with agency expectations.
- Assist in maintaining property financials, including:
- Ensuring budgeted revenue, operating expenses, and cash flow goals are met monthly;
- Collaborating with property management staff to conduct monthly variance reviews of financial statements;
- Reviewing operating reports and general ledgers, approving invoices, and processing bill packs;
- Meeting established goals for budgeted revenue, operating expenses, and cash flow monthly, responding to variances, and ensuring compliance as necessary; and
- Providing information as requested to regulatory agency personnel and others involved in monitoring of property financing.
- Assist in maintaining optimal property financial health by completing processes such as:
- Collecting rent and all applicable fees and/or resident charges, tracking delinquent accounts, arranging payment agreements, initiating and following through with legal proceedings for nonpayment and cause evictions;
- Suggesting rent increases where appropriate, maximizing income in accordance with funding program guidelines;
- Submitting bad debt and resident collections to the collection agency within established timeframes; and
- Submitting timely and accurate quarterly requests for replacement reserve draw requests.
- Collaborate with team to monitor building and grounds maintenance performance, including:
- Assessing safety, security risks, cleanliness, curb appeal, preventative maintenance, and capital needs;
- Communicating with maintenance staff regarding work orders, capital and property improvements, inspections, preventative maintenance programs, and resident issues; and
- Approving orders for goods and services that are budgeted as appropriate or preparing documentation for approval by supervisors as necessary.
- Follow Vacancy Protocols in order to ensure units are leased in compliance with Resident Selection Plans and agency expectations through:
- Collaboration with Intake staff to market upcoming vacancies;
- Screening and eligibility determination of applicants and preparation of complete applicant move-in files;
- Ensuring friendly and comprehensive initial move-in process by showing units, signing leases, turning over keys, and completing move-in inspections.
- Ensure regular compliance of properties, including auditing of new move-in files and existing tenant files and coordinating corrective action for compliance issues.
- Serve as a contact for property-related questions preparing responses to management review requests, and timely completion of quarterly investor reports as necessary.
- Collaborate with Resident Services Coordinators (RSCs), resident associations, and other groups to ensure the provision of activities for the property, including:
- Assessing the needs and interests of residents;
- Maintaining knowledge of activities and resources available within the local community; and
- Engaging local resources to encourage a sense of community within the property and ensure resident needs are met.
- Collaborate with RSCs to ensure effective and timely resolution of resident complaints and lease compliance issues,
- Provide high level of customer service and ensure resident satisfaction through strong, open communication and follow through.
- Adhere to all applicable state, federal, and Agency rules, policies, procedures, and regulations at all times.
- Maintain resident confidentiality.
- Embody core values of Avesta Housing at all times.
- Must value and foster an environment that ensures respect, support and safety for all members of the Avesta community, and actively promote the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from having a diverse and inclusive community.
- Recommend efficiencies or areas of improvement when relevant.
- Participate on committees as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College Degree preferred.
- Thorough experience in managing multi-family housing preferred.
- Ability to travel.
- Understanding of general accounting principles.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Excellent interviewing and communicating skills.
- Experience assisting disadvantaged populations.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to complete tasks on a timely basis.
- Ability to prepare contracts and monitor budgets.
- Excellent analytical and negotiating skills.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products.
Benefits: Excellent benefit package including employer paid health, dental, vision, 401(k) with immediate vested match, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life, long and short term disability, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and generous earned time. Excellent working environment.