Location: Flexible; remote telecommute
Reports to: National Director, TimeDone
Start Date: ASAP; position open until filled
Position type: Full-time, exempt
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also represents diverse victims of crime to advance policies that provide more safety and help, and people with old records to advance policies that provide more redemption and freedom. Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), which operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of ASJ.
TimeDone (TD) is the organization’s newest membership program. Launched in 2018 with the help of the late Nipsey Hussle, TimeDone is focused on organizing people with past convictions to lift their voices up in public safety and criminal justice policy debates and win policy changes that eliminate barriers to economic inclusion and financial stability. The program started in California and is now growing across the country in the states that ASJ works in. TimeDone has 40,000 online members across the country and partnerships with dozens of reentry service providers, businesses, labor unions, and reform organizations to grow the movement for economic inclusion and financial stability. This position is part of the vertically integrated team supporting member building in all ASJ states.
We are seeking a TimeDone TimeDone Digital & Community Manager to help manage and expand TimeDone’s online community and advance new narratives on the barriers to economic reintegration for people with old records. This person will help organize community members to engage in strategic advocacy for policy change in states that ASJ operates in. The TimeDone TimeDone Digital & Community Manager will lead the online growth and mobilization of our community to engage with helpful resources and amplify stories and activities across TimeDone-branded social media channels. They will provide a strategic organizing direction for TimeDone’s social media presence through social media management, impactful content creation, peer-to-peer online engagement, user acquisition and growth. This position requires someone who is knowledgeable in organizing through social media, rapid response advocacy, and civic engagement, as well as someone who understands how to advance change in a trauma-informed way. The TimeDone TimeDone Digital & Community Manager will work closely with a collaborative, high-impact team within a fast-paced, growing organization, and will report to the National Director, TimeDone.
Social Media Management & Content Creation (50%)
- Work with the National Director, TimeDone and Digital Communications staff to build and develop social media channels, online organizing pages, initiatives and tactics on digital platforms for TD, including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Discord, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn
- Assume primary ownership of member-focused online spaces for TD, including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Discord, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn; focus on
- building, activating and moderating local groups and other online communities to push out content/messages, build turnout for events, and celebrate leaders/members; organize in other online spaces to recruit/attract new members
- Build, develop, and maintain a high-performing team of community moderators who moderate across all social platforms where TD has a presence, including delivering top-notch expertise and timely member support, operating with unfaltering judgment, and escalating brand-sensitive issues as necessary
- Partner closely with Digital Managers, the CSSJ Social Media & Community Associates, the Senior Graphic Designer, and 3rd party vendors to evolve the platform and bring new capabilities to fruition
- Proactively define and deliver social media strategy, business plans, and roadmap in the achievement of programmatic strategic goals
- Establish a vibrant online community space for TD members, as measured through traffic, returning visitors, session length, posting, kudos, etc
- Manage and optimize user feedback channels to identify landscape-specific trends, compile reports and shared insights to drive improvements; monitor statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and take action as needed
- Content creation
- Create and maintain an organizing-focused social media strategy across all platforms in collaboration with Digital Communications and TD Organizing staff
- Lead creation of organizing-focused campaigns and content, assist with development of all TD content, and guide prioritization of content placement within social media platform calendars in collaboration with Digital Communications staff
- Create digital toolkits to promote TD’s brand and campaigns in partnership with Digital Communications and Design staff
- Create compelling graphics and videos for social posts, online ads, email blasts, etc. in collaboration with Digital Communications and Graphic Design staff for all TD activities
- Conceptualize and execute other high-impact visual and digital storytelling projects for TD in collaboration with Digital Communications staff
- Coordinate with Senior Graphic Designer + web developer/s on TD web design and access
Online Recruitment & Community Engagement (50%)
- Develop and roll out an online organizing and engagement strategy for TD national; collaborate with Digital Communications staff for in-state advocacy campaigns and civic engagement
- For all TD platforms, develop and implement peer-to-peer recruitment tactics to onramp individuals to online TD membership, activities, and communities
- Engage with followers, commenters and participants on our online platforms through 1:1/peer-to-peer outreach via direct message, FB chat, email, SMS, etc. to increase their understanding of and participation in TD
- Develop aligned and consistent engagement strategies across TD platforms, including follow-up, calls to action, etc in coordination with Organizing and Member Engagement staff
- Assist in building our member base through digital advertising, social media, email, texting, and other digital tools
- Collaborate with Digital Communications staff to leverage TD-related events to elevate the voices of people with past records, increasing awareness, attract new members and supporters, and advance our core narratives through digital media
- Monitor national and state landscapes for engagement opportunities; make decisions about leveraging advocacy opportunities in real-time in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Build and maintain relationships with other organization's digital staff and key partners
- Provide coaching, technical assistance, and training to TD staff and members, assisting in use of social media, texting, online outreach, technology, and other software tools to advance organizing goals
- Collaborate with Digital Communications staff to provide training and technical assistance to other organizations + partners
- Manage TD online data and tracking systems in collaboration with Communications staff
- Explore and remain up-to-date on the use of online/social media platforms and features for organizing
Experience & Qualifications
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in online community management, communications, digital advocacy, and/or online organizing
- 1-2 years marketing, content, and/or social media experience, with a solid understanding of engaging an audience and growing the member base of a program, product, or brand
- Strong project management experience and proficiency in social media platforms with a heavy emphasis on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Reddit
- Prior experience managing or working closely with contractors to maintain websites or online advocacy and list-building campaigns
- Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social and racial justice; familiarity with criminal justice issues preferred
- Strong experience creating and leading digital campaigns (online advocacy, social media, paid media, etc.) and managing communities online; including knowledge and skills to advise/consult with management to ensure effective delivery of the desired messaging to an audience and/or member base
- Ability to gather helpful insights from Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, and other analytics tools
- Ability to frame ideas and synthesize complex policy issues to inform, entertain and persuade a range of audiences
- Ability to translate complex ideas and policy issues into accessible and compelling digital content
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively and listen and learn from feedback
- Ability to thrive in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills
- Experience with CRMs, social media management and digital advocacy tools such as BSD, Hootsuite, Buffer, Action Network, EveryAction, Salesforce, NGP, MobileCommons/Upland, Hustle, ControlShift, Dasheroo, Wordpress, etc.
- Experience with Wordpress and/or other website CMS
- Experience with sophisticated audience segmentation and targeting in political, non-profit, and/or corporate contexts
- Graphic design and/or video editing experience, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with Asana, Slack, FB Workplace and other project management and digital communication tools
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Option to remote telecommute.
- Occasional travel and/or weekend assignments may be required.
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal.
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion.
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Safety and Justice offers a competitive benefits package including health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403b match benefit and paid sick, holiday and vacation leave.
Applications should be submitted to the posting link on ASJ’s job site. Applications must include:
- A cover letter that explains your interest in the position and working with ASJ and experience alignment;
- Your resume;
- 2-3 professional references from people who have supervised or worked regularly with you in a current or recent job
The Alliance for Safety and Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.