TERC is a nonprofit made up of teams of math and science education and research experts dedicated to innovation and creative problem solving for more than 50 years. At the frontier of theory and practice, TERC’s work encompasses research, content and curriculum development, technology innovation, professional development, and program evaluation. TERC has a passion for social justice and strives to create level playing fields for all learners, reaching more than three million students every year. TERC is a grant-funded organization, primarily funded by the National Science Foundation.
We are located in a historic factory building between Porter & Davis Squares in Cambridge, MA. TERC is operating in a hybrid work environment, providing a vibrant and engaging virtual work environment, focused on inclusivity, fostering cross-collaboration, and information sharing. To learn more, please visit www.terc.edu.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEIB)
TERC envisions a work community of diverse, multicultural talent that transforms futures through math and science education research. As such we are committed to antiracist education and other critical frameworks to cultivate equitable STEM learning environments and transformative social justice in the diverse communities we serve. Read our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Statement.
TERC actively seeks to diversify its staff; we deeply believe that the inclusion of diverse perspectives, ideas, and characteristics (race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, disability, protected veteran status, age, and more) contributes to the creativity and impact of our research, and the professional development and experiences of our employees. All hiring practices, personnel actions, and benefits are administered equally, without regard to the aforementioned characteristics. For more detail please read our EEO Policy Statement.
About the Role:
This is a full-time exempt position which may be performed onsite or remote. If performed remotely, a plan to travel to TERC’s office to meet with staff a few times each year and shared cost thereof will be agreed upon as relevant. The successful candidate will work with and supervise a team of three; is responsible for the accuracy and integrity of financial data in the Deltek Costpoint ERP; supports project and infrastructure fiscal management; and supports the CFO in financial reporting and analytics.
Reporting to the CFO, acting with a high degree of collaboration, and general supervision, performs the following:
- Supervises team of three accounting staff
- Manages A/P, A/R, timesheets, payroll, and the monthly close
- Reviews daily cash reports and cash flow projections, reviews and authorizes ACH and wire transfers
- Ensures accounting is compliant with GAAP and federal funding regulations
- Manages the soft monthly close and year-end close process
- Maintains documentation for processes and controls for Finance Department and on intranet
Accounting System Management:
- ERP system management including account creation, setup of indirect rates and cost pools, project setup, amendment and closure, and more
- Troubleshoot system issues with support from outside vendor
Project Financial Support:
- Assists project leads with budget discrepancies and financial reporting
- Review project balances and ensure accurate spend down and compliance with federal regulations
Tax and Audit:
- Manage the annual Uniform Guidance audit with support from the CFO, accounting team, and HR team
- Prepare the annual 990 filing, form 3abc, CHAR500, and MA PC forms with support from the CFO, accounting team, and HR team
- Support CFO with financial report preparation for triennial board reports
- Monthly project-based statistical report preparation for CFO and President review
- Support CFO and accounting team with organizing team-specific trainings and company-wide trainings on ERP system reporting, budgeting, and more
- Other duties as assigned by the CFO
Work requires access to confidential data and interaction with many staff across TERC. Typically interacts with senior members of staff to exchange information and negotiate solutions, with clients and outside agencies to present and defend company information, with CFO on financial, policy/process and staffing matters, and with accounting staff to direct work.
When applying, you will be asked to upload your resume and cover letter.
The salary range for this position commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Please do not call and no recruiter or agency inquiries.
- BS/BA in finance or accounting.
- 4-7 years prior experience in an accounting role.
- 3-4 years supervisory experience.
- Not-for-profit accounting background preferred.
- Experience with Federal funding compliance desired.
- Experience with ERP systems.
- Experience with Deltek Costpoint system a plus.
- Familiar with using a Mac and Office365 is strongly desired.
- Advanced Excel knowledge.
- Attention to detail, problem-solving and strong organization skills.
- Excellent written, oral and public speaking communication skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative decision-making environment.