The American Swedish Institute is a gathering place for all people to share experiences around themes of culture, migration, the environment, and the arts, informed by enduring links to Sweden. The American Swedish Institute and the historic Turnblad Mansion have been mainstays for cultural education and engagement in Minneapolis since 1929.
- Benefit Eligible
The Facilities Supervisor is responsible for supervising, training and scheduling the facilities team members and assisting the Facilities Manager with overall facilities operations. The Facilities Supervisor will provide support and training for all facility technicians for general building maintenance and perform cleaning duties as needed to ensure that facilities are always clean and safe for the visiting public. The Facilities Supervisor is responsible for the ASI schedule of work shifts, set-ups and tear downs for activities taking place in the Nelson Cultural Center, Turnblad Mansion, Carriage House, and Outdoor Courtyard. The Facilities Supervisor will ensure that programs, festivals, special events, and rental events with Culinaire/Slate and Stone are prepared on time and according to set up plans and provide support during events as necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Schedule facility technicians and maintenance staff for all shifts for building cleaning and facility rentals.
- Supervise facility staff to uphold ASI’s standard of cleanliness including training new hires to ensure the Nelson Cultural Center, the Mansion, the Carriage House and grounds are presentable to the public.
- Perform new hire training for Facility Technicians to demonstrate proper cleaning techniques and proper products and tools for job performance.
- Prepare, plan, and provide set-ups for ASI events, meetings and programs as outlined by set-up requirements.
- Convene weekly staff set-up meetings and confirm program and event coordinators set-up needs.
- Lead facilities team and provide work direction to ensure proper set-ups and tear-downs of events
- Work closely with key ASI staff in programs and Culinaire/Slate and Stone to ensure smooth communications for event preparation, planning, and launch.
- Perform general maintenance and cleaning of ASI facilities including, mopping, scrubbing, vacuuming, dusting, glass cleaning and trash/recycling removal as needed.
- Assist in covering special events and other Facility Tech’s time off by working either opening or late-night closing shifts as requested by the Facilities Manager.
- Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships with co-workers, supervisors, members, and visitors of ASI.
- Responsible for closing and arming the building each night after work shift.
- Assist with lawn and grounds maintenance between professional services (intermittent weeding, snow blowing, and shoveling sidewalk if necessary).
- Monitor maintenance schedule of facilities equipment for optimum performance, if qualified and able to make minor repairs when possible. Report any equipment repairs to the Facilities Manager.
- Monitor inventory of cleaning supplies for cleaning and guest supplies such as toilet paper, paper towels, soap for re-order and out of order bathroom fixtures and work with Facilities Manager to keep inventory and equipment at optimum levels.
- Interview facility technician applicants as requested by Facility Manager.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
- H.S. Diploma or equivalent and 2+ years of similar experience.
- Supervisory experience 1-2 years minimum.
- Staff scheduling experience.
- Working knowledge of recycling and waste reduction practices, cleaning methods.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite and multiple calendars.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and manage multiple tasks on deadline.
- Ability to communicate with key team members to ensure successful programs and events.
- Ability to provide work direction to team members.
- Ability to use reasonable judgment when performing and planning tasks.
- Must be punctual, reliable, strong work ethic.
- Ability to stand and do manual work for long periods of time for 6-10 hour shifts.
- Ability to lift and carry items of 20 pounds often.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to maintain facilities equipment a plus.