FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm (Flexibility to work some evenings and/or Saturdays)
Reports To: Senior Accountant for Parish and School Accounting Services
Summary: This position is responsible for developing relationships with parishes, schools, and their entities by promoting a forum for open communication between the parishes/schools and the Pastoral Center. The Staff Accountant will review parish and school financial information in a competent, professional and thorough manner. The Staff Accountant will assist in training parish/school staff on accounting principles, accounting software, and business practices of the Archdiocese of San Antonio.
- Perform administrative and financial reviews of parishes and schools.
- Prepare reports with recommendations to parishes and schools for correcting unsatisfactory conditions and for improving operations.
- Provide assistance to parishes and schools in the area of financial management and administration via phone calls, emails, and office visits.
- Assist parishes and schools with their PAS/SAS responsibilities using individual and group training sessions on accounting principles, accounting software, state and federal tax reporting, and business practices of the Archdiocese of San Antonio.
- Prepare special schedules and reports as needed for management, including financial statements, year-end reconciliations, ASF calculations, and compilations.
- Communicate with parish/school personnel via phone calls, emails, and office visits regarding monthly closing, year-end closing, and budget preparation and submission.
- Maintain users in the accounting system.
- Maintain the PSAS directories and accounting system with priest, principal, business manager, and bookkeeper contact information.
- Process bookkeeping and payroll processing services to include deposits, bills/checks, journal entries, bank reconciliations, and financial reports in the accounting system for parishes/schools as needed.
- Assist with other duties and special projects as assigned by Management.
- Adhering to safety training and protocols on a daily basis, and taking precautionary measure to ensure the safety and well-being of self, others.
- Responsible for protecting the confidentiality of any information or material obtained in the service with the organization to include but not limited to client names and information, services rendered to clients, donors names and gifts, internal and external investigations or results of any investigations, and financial information.
- Adherence to the Code of Conduct and the Faith and Moral Policy is mandatory.
- Every employee is required to take a solution-oriented approach in their interactions and undertakings, as well as being a team member that promotes collaboration and commitment to the Mission and Vision of the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in all processes of Accounting.
License and Credentials:
- Reliable transportation
- Valid driver license
- Valid vehicle insurance
Minimum Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in accounting including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, financial reporting, and auditing;
- Knowledge and ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles;
- Computer proficient with working knowledge of programs including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat;
- Hands-on experience with ParishSOFT Accounting or any other type of accounting software;
- Must be detail oriented, organized, self-motivated, work well independently and on a team;
- Must have good written and verbal skills;
- Must have good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Parish and School visits are to a variety of locations away from the main worksite, up to 150 miles away.
- Travel requirements for the position includes 50% local and 10% overnight.