Allies for Community Business believes that entrepreneurs from any background can start and grow businesses that create wealth for their families and communities. A4CB provides the capital, coaching, and collaboration entrepreneurs need to grow great businesses in their communities.
The Community Lender is a salaried, exempt position that reports to the Director of Community Lending. A Community Lender is responsible for finding community businesses to serve and then helping those entrepreneurs grow their businesses by listening, assessing, responding, and documenting how A4CB can help.
Salary and Benefits Information
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $55,000 commensurate with experience and skillset. A4CB offers generous medical and dental insurance plans; offers a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan (with employer match); and provides excellent paid time off to its employees. A4CB is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals with diverse backgrounds and work experiences to apply.
- Provide loans and grants to the budgeted number of unique community businesses each month
- Fund the budgeted amount of capital to the businesses you serve each month
- Refer community businesses to our Business Coaches as appropriate
- Provide excellent service to early, emerging, and established community businesses by doing the following.
- Find entrepreneurs to serve, in partnership with the Director of Community Relationships, Senior Director of Community Lending, and Director of Community Lending
- Listen to what entrepreneurs are attempting to accomplish with their businesses and what they would like us to do to help
- Assess how we might help, by applying a detailed understanding of our approach to providing capital (loans and grants), coaching (1-on-1 and in groups), and collaboration (licensing, kitchen space, and procurement) to what the entrepreneurs are seeking
- Respond with a proposed approach to help grow the business, and then support the entrepreneurs by referring to Coaching to achieve the milestones they are striving to reach
- Document the entrepreneurs’ stories, our assistance to date, and our plan for providing additional support in the future
- Resolve issues resulting from tensions between community business expectations and A4CB policies and constraints with clarity and empathy
- Join the A4CB team at our office at The Hatchery in Chicago for at least one day each week
- Perform other duties flexibly and creatively as needs arise
A4CB requires its staff to:
- Solve problems creatively
- Manage time efficiently
- Attend to details meticulously
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally
- Collaborate flexibly with colleagues in a diverse and changing environment
- Believe strongly in A4CB’s vision and mission
The Community Lender may have experience in:
- Community development, specifically engagement in AAPI communities
- Small business lending
- Small business coaching
- Client service