WordPress Senior Developer
NJI is a wildly creative and strategically disciplined agency with offices in London, Washington, D.C., and Singapore. We work seamlessly across teams and time zones to align and deliver for our clients.
We seek an experienced and versatile senior web developer to join our office with at least 4+ years of experience who enjoys a broad range of both front-end and back-end development responsibilities. The ideal candidate is able to quickly, independently, and precisely build a custom WordPress website from design assets and functional documentation. Maintenance and updates to existing sites also factor heavily into the responsibilities of this position. PHP and Wordpress experience is a must – we frequently build on proven and popular content management systems like Drupal and Wordpress.
We hope to find a developer that can build a site from Sketch/Figma into a custom WordPress theme.
Please examine the many skills we look for in a candidate. The right technical experience and skill will get you an interview, attitude and professionalism will get you the job.
Required Professional Skills
- Attention to Detail – You must be naturally precise, and you must take genuine, personal pride in being meticulous about your craft.
- Communication – Our operational style emphasizes flexibility and encourages autonomy. As a result, uncommonly good common sense, and exceptional communication skills are absolutely indispensable for every team member.
- Time Management – We know that nothing is ever ‘done’. The proven ability to manage your time sensibly and proportionately with project priorities is critical.
- HTML – Demonstrated correct and semantic application of markup, including headers, lists, forms, etc, ability to distinguish HTML5 from XHTML 1, HTML 4.01, etc.
- CSS – Mastery of clean and organized styling techniques, including responsive techniques. Knowledge of graceful degradation/progressive enhancement approaches to browser support.
- jQuery – Capable of leveraging jQuery to modify existing UI behaviors and interactions and to create brand new interactions from scratch.
- Sketch/Figma - Strong knowledge of creating a Wordpress custom theme site from Sketch and/or Figma files.
- QA/QC - Strong knowledge in testing, debugging, and fixing issues using internal and external 3rd party tools.
- WordPress – Demonstrated experience installing and developing quality sites in WordPress 5+.
- Wordpress Plugins: Experience building themes incorporating plugins like Advanced Custom Fields, CF7, and iThemes Security
- PHP5 – Very strong with PHP syntax and features. Understand variables, constants, arrays, loops, internal functions, error logging/reporting, and OOP principles.
- Command Line– Basic familiarity working from shell or terminal in Mac
- Analytics – Familiar with implementing and evaluating results from metric gathering technologies such as Google Analytics.
- GitHub - Familiar with Git commands including branching, merging, fixing merge conflicts, and PR.
These are not required, but would be considered plusses:
- Ability to create custom Wordpress Plugins.
- Sass, SCSS.
- Working with APIs, and creating and consuming web services, using SOAP and REST protocols.
- Gulp/Grunt, Bower package manager.
- Worked locally using Lando
- Drupal 7/9
Work Hard Where You Are.
Part of our secret sauce is facilitating great collaboration across our creative teams. From farmers to urban foragers, trapeze artists to Mario Kart fanatics, we have colleagues with diverse interests, and we’re at our best when we bring these perspectives together. This position will only be considered for someone local to the London office who can come join in our collaborative efforts. That being said, NJI maintains a hybrid/remote work policy for all offices and the team here regularly splits their time between the office and working from home. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
We think of cover letters more in the old-fashioned pen pal sense. So, keep the job summary and skills list in your resume, and write something that personally expresses who you are and what draws you to NJI and this role.
Authenticity is the foundation of boundless creativity. Rooted in diverse life experience, our team challenges the status quo through our work and culture every day. We are committed to sustaining and improving NJI's inclusive workplace by actively expanding the diversity of our team. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. If you require accommodations or assistance during the application process, please contact email@example.com.