Under the supervision of the Assistant City Manager, the Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for community beautification and the preservation of the public health, safety, and welfare through the consistent and proactive enforcement of City codes related to tall grass and weed nuisances, inoperable vehicles, and other nuisances (trash/junk/rubbish) located on private property.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Investigates violations pertaining to tall grass and weeds on private property and coordinates abatement with the property owner or designated abatement contractor;
- Investigates violations pertaining to inoperable vehicles and coordinates abatement of violating issues with the property owner;
- Investigates violations pertaining to nuisances on private property including, but not limited to trash, junk, rubbish, and coordinates abatement with the tenant and/or property owner or designated abatement contractor;
- Removes signs that are illegally placed within the public right-of-way;
- Abide by all standards, conduct, and policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook;
- Other duties as assigned.Work Environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions, including temperature extremes. The employee regularly stands for extended periods of time. The employee may occasionally be exposed to fumes, dirt, grease, fuel, chemicals, and toxins. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education, Licensure, or Certification
- High School Diploma or GED required;
- Valid Kansas Driver’s License required at all times during employment;
- A minimum of one (1) International Code Council Code Enforcement Certification required within first 12-months, ongoing certification required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – With or without accommodations
- Experience in code enforcement inspections preferred;
- General knowledge of Mayor – Council – Manager form of government preferred;
- Computer skills including experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required;
- Must demonstrate a high level of integrity;
- Safe driving practices and knowledge of state and local laws pertaining to the operation of motor vehicles on streets, roads, and highways;
- Knowledge of safe working environment principles, including appropriate methods of lifting heavy objects, climbing on ladders, and the proper use of required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Experience with professional business communication methods and formats;
- Emphasis on quality customer service.
- Ability to perform physical activities such as lifting, standing, walking, talking, bending, reaching, grasping;
- Uses hands repetitively to handle, feel and operate standard office equipment and computers;
- Occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds;
- Normal vision and depth perception, with or without correction;
- Normal hearing, with or without correction;
- Ability to work within varying environments and weather conditions, depending on the job site and time of the year.
- Ability to listen, understand, read, write, and communicate information;
- Knowledge of algebra and geometry with ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals;
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify appropriate solutions or approaches to problems;
- Ability to plan, negotiate, direct, control, and monitor other activities;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, and superiors;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, often times during difficult or potentially conflictual circumstances.