San Bernardino International Airport Authority
Position: Grounds Maintenance Worker I Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Grounds Maintenance Supervisor
Location: San Bernardino International Airport
Starting Salary: $17.36/hours ($36,108 Annual) with full benefits
Under direct supervision, performs a variety of work in the construction, modification, maintenance, and repair of agency infrastructure, grounds, roads, aprons, taxiways, runways, drainage systems, fencing, satellite properties, and related airport facilities and structures; uses and operates a variety of manual and power tools and light to heavy power driven equipment; and performs related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct supervision from the Grounds Maintenance Supervisor. Exercises no direct supervision over staff.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth.
- Performs grounds maintenance duties, including mowing and edging lawns, trimming hedges, pruning trees and shrubbery, and performing light maintenance on power equipment.
- Performs various landscaping duties such as watering lawns and shrubs; mowing; fertilizing; preparing and seeding soil; cultivating and weeding planted areas.
- Digs trenches and performs routine maintenance on irrigation pipe and sprinkler lines.
- Cleans walks, parking lots, and other areas of leaves and debris.
- Accomplishes operator maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Operates power equipment such as power lawn mowers, weed eaters, small tractors, riding mowers, power edgers, and operates motor vehicles.
- Uses power and hand tools to perform construction, repair, and maintenance of grounds and equipment.
- Observes safe work methods and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required.
- Maintains public facilities, shop and garage areas, storage sites, and other work areas in a clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday.
- Installs street barricades and cones and controls traffic around work sites and special events to ensure safe conditions for the general public and agency workers.
- Conducts asphalt and concrete repairs and preventive maintenance.
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
- Maintains accurate logs and records of work performed and materials and equipment used.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies.
- May provide temporary supervision of Work Release Personnel.
- Establishes, maintains, and fosters positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including the. public, vendors, contractors, and agency staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade and one (1) year of experience in construction, maintenance, and/or repair of grounds, facilities, and appurtenances, and/or training in the use of hand and power tools and equipment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.
- Successfully complete background check to obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required.
- Completion of a 10-panel drug screen for all substances deemed illegal by the Federal Government