For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: The Volunteer Coordinator will identify and develop appropriate recruiting strategies and marketing materials that detail how volunteers at Legal Aid Chicago can make a difference in their community by providing legal assistance. This position will collaborate with the Director of Pro Bono & Community Partnerships and other staff to conduct onboarding, orientation, and training of new volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator reports to a Supervising Attorney.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist with volunteer recruitment and creation of volunteer recruitment materials, including website postings, social media posts, and email messages
- Respond to and screen interested volunteers to provide additional information about Legal Aid Chicago volunteer opportunities and to match their interest and experience with available projects
- Assist with intern recruiting including screening of candidates, coordinating interviews, and checking references
- Coordinate intern activities including orientation, educational seminars and other events
- Plan and execute volunteer recognition activities
- Keep accurate and up to date data on all volunteers in Legal Aid Chicago databases, including volunteer hours
- In collaboration with others, develop volunteer projects and processes to promote and increase the use of volunteers at the agency
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with software such as Raiser’s Edge and WordPress a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- The applicant’s personal background, experience, or professional background should reflect an ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with clients, co-workers and the community we serve
- The ability to work well under pressure, and to learn and retain new information
Cover letter, resume, short (3-5 pages) writing sample and the contact information of two professional references are required to apply.
Legal Aid Chicago is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status, or ex-offender status. Applicants who have experiences with our client communities are encouraged to apply.