• Reports to Trails West Branch Manager
• 20 hours per week
• Salary: $14.24 per hour
• The Trails West branch is located at 11401 East 23rd Street, Independence, MO 64052
• Position is open until filled.
What You’d Do:
• Provide basic circulation and registration services to assure patrons ready access to library materials: Checks materials in and out; issues library cards; collects money on account charges; updates customer records in the database; verbally explains circulation policies and procedures; and processes patron requests for reserve items.
• Provide excellent customer service: assist patrons with use of library databases, computer equipment, and software; process patrons’ request material; prepares and sends Interlibrary Loan requests; and provides patrons with reader’s advisory assistance.
• Undertake special projects as assigned.
• Work cooperatively with others.
• Use decision making skills to improve the patron experience
• Transfer materials, which may weigh up 30 pounds, to and from book bins and shelves.
• Work environment that may be noisy or dusty.
• Ability to meet and serve the public, working effectively with patrons of all ages. Ability to learn library operations, services and policies, including computer procedures.
• Ability to organize daily work routines for location effectively.
• Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with colleagues and the public.
• Basic computer skills with a willingness to learn and keep current with emerging technologies.
• Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions.
• Ability to speak and understand English is required. Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent in any non-English languages spoken in the Kansas City area including Somali, Swahili, Spanish, Arabic, French, Dari, Pashto, and Vietnamese.
• Minimum requirements include high school diploma or equivalent.
How to apply
Please apply for this position through our web application system. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.