PROGRAM SUMMARY: Easterseals Head Start/Early Head Start provides high-quality, family-centered education for children birth to five years old. We collaborate with 40+ early childhood programs located in the city of Chicago and suburban Cook County to promote school readiness in young children of all abilities from families with incomes below poverty guidelines. Easterseals also directly operates two Early Learning Centers in Head Start/Early Head Start in Chicago and in Hickory Hills.
POSITION LOCATION: This position is located at the Easterseals Early Learning Services Headquarters at 1939 W. 13th Street, Chicago 60608.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for contributing to the development of the overall agency and center educational plan and for the classroom implementation of the center plan that is geared to meet the needs of each individual child enrolled in the program in accordance with NAEYC, Head Start Performance Standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Creative Curriculum. Ability to utilize the Creative Curriculum system.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Teaching Strategies GOLD. Ability to utilize Teaching Strategies GOLD online system.
- Leads classroom team in creating a developmentally appropriate environment
- Supervises all activities of the children at all times.
- Account for children using Active Supervision.
- Supports the quality of the classroom by working in partnership with other classroom staff.
- Attend and/or complete required and recommended training.
- Attend required and recommended meetings.
- Complete an ongoing professional development plan.
- Support agency’s School Readiness goals.
- Supervises and provides guidance to other classroom personnel
- Researches new curriculum methods and reinforcement materials
- Shares responsibility for cleaning up after all classroom activities. Assumes overall responsibility for proper care of classroom equipment and supplies
- Recommends maintenance and repairs as needed in the classroom to maintain safety compliances.
- Generate and implement developmentally appropriate lesson plans.
- Utilize child outcome data to guide lesson planning and developmentally appropriate activities
- Participate in Coaching to Fidelity.
- Participate in Individual Educational Plan (IEP) and/or Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) meetings.
- Prepares reports on classroom activities, including attendance records.
- Utilizes Individual Educational Plan (IEP) and/or Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) to support children with disabilities.
- Works closely with consultants and other Easter Seals staff personnel.
- Travel to other classrooms and/or sites, as needed, to serve as the teacher or teacher assistant.
- All other duties as assigned.
Must meet Head Start Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education (ECE) or Bachelor’s degree in another related field with at least 30 hours in ECE. Infant Toddler Coursework Required, Infant Toddler Credential Preferred.
Experience as a teacher in an early childhood classroom.
Valid driver’s license.
Bilingual skills may be required or preferred based on the needs of the program.
Must have the ability to create a classroom atmosphere in which children can develop physically, intellectually, emotionally, socially, and creatively.
Able to work well with staff, families, other agencies, and funding source personnel.
Well-organized, detail-oriented, and accuracy-driven.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Able to manage multiple projects.
Experience with Creative Curriculum and Teaching Strategies GOLD preferred
ADA: Easterseals will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disability Act of 1990. Unless exempted by the Americans with Disabilities Act, all persons hired for this position are required to possess the ability to perform the physical tasks necessary to treat clients, i.e., bending, floor-sitting, etc., as well as to have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds frequently.