Philbrook Museum of Art is looking for a Lead Custodian to join the team!
Nestled in 25 acres of beautiful gardens, Philbrook Museum of Art is a 1920s Italianate Villa featuring a dynamic and ambitious program of rotating exhibitions and galleries with selections from an actively growing collection of approximately 15,000 objects. With artworks from Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Europe dating from 3,000 BCE to today, Philbrook is Oklahoma’s most comprehensive art museum and offers visitors a glimpse into a broad range of cultures, time periods, and perspectives. The diverse collection supports a vision of Philbrook as central to the lives of our community as a place for learning, inspiration, and fun. Through bold action and strategic investment, we create a space for new ideas, diverse perspectives, and social connection.
In this position, you are responsible for maintaining consistently clean and welcoming facilities at Philbrook. You will lead a team of three to five custodians to uphold the highest standards of care, efficiency, and throughout the premises. In this position, you will be responsible for performing custodial duties in an assigned area, wile also leading the custodial team. You will be responsible for setting schedules, training, and developing routines for each team member.
Primary Essential Responsibilities
- Ensures all Museum premises are cleaned thoroughly and carefully on a regular schedule and as needed.
- Performs custodial duties such as sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, disinfecting, polishing, removing trash/recycling, replacing paper goods, or general cleaning and organizing.
- Collaborates across departments in the performance of cleaning duties in sensitive areas such as galleries or storage rooms.
- Partners with the Events Team to ensure appropriate housekeeping services in preparation for and following events.
- Inspects, verify, and ensure completion of work assignments according to specified schedules.
- Hires, train, mentor, and coach custodial team, including conducting evaluations and taking disciplinary action and creating positive recognition as warranted.
- Maintains stock of cleaning supplies and materials.
- Assist in the preparation of departmental budgets, and keep records related to custodial services, including recommending necessary equipment purchases.
- Monitors and/or participates in supply, furniture, and equipment moving activities when needed, requested, or to prevent potential or actual safety hazards.
- Supports museum campus operations and safety.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a minimum of three years of custodial experience. Supervisory experience is a plus!
The successful candidate…
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds, carry 35 pounds, and push up to 200 pounds.
- Has the ability to communicate and maintain good working relations with Philbrook Museum employees, vendors, contractors, and public entities.
- Is reliable, conscientious, and attentive to detail; and comfortable working in settings requiring a high degree of accuracy and care.
- Has experience with a range of cleaning methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial work.
- Has the ability to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and/or ratios; read correspondence, diagrams, and technical manuals; write documents following prescribed formats; and/or present information to others.
- Is able to understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Has proficiency using Microsoft suite programs.
- Has the ability to work independently and collaboratively, using judgment and discretion to complete job duties, projects, and assignments.
- Has the ability to schedule personnel for a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events
Competitive Salary& Benefits
- Starting at $17.00/hour
- Health insurance
- Paid time off, Sick Time, Paid Holidays
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- 403(b) retirement plan and matching
For consideration, please include a resume and cover letter with application. This position is required to be on call 24/7 for emergencies as a member of the Emergency Response Team.
Philbrook provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.