The Manager of Parks and Public Space is responsible for ensuring the Downtown public spaces are inviting, well maintained, and enhanced through regular maintenance and improvement projects. The Manager will engage and oversee DDI contractors (landscape, bird abatement, pressure washing, etc.). Additionally, the Manager will be responsible for weekly audits and operational plans to ensure that services are delivered consistently and in a timely manner. General knowledge and the ability to repair basic electrical, plumbing, and facility items are required.
The Manager will work closely with the City of Dallas, DART, building owners, and other stakeholders to collaboratively identify and solve relevant deficiencies within the public realm.
The Manager of Parks and Public Space will oversee and directly manage all DDI public space contractors to achieve desired results. Additionally, direct liaison work with the City of Dallas and stakeholders will be required to address issues with the parks and public spaces Downtown.
· Oversees DDI-managed Downtown Park facilities to ensure each space is maintained to the highest possible standard by liaising with the City of Dallas Park and Recreation Department and contractors on their provided services.
· Establish maintenance schedules and operating plans for DDI-managed parks. Oversee regular preventive scheduled maintenance on facilities and systems either with DDI staff, contractors, or Dallas Parks Department.
· Oversee irrigation system checks for all irrigation systems related to DDI-managed spaces (parks, medians, flowerpots).
· Liaison with Dallas Park and Recreation staff to ensure City responsibilities and projects within Parks are scheduled and completed promptly.
· Liaison with Parks for Downtown Dallas to ensure parks with third-party contractor services are well-coordinated, and no duplication of services occurs.
· Serve as the on-call emergency contact for park facility concerns reported by DDI Field Teams or members of the public.
· Complete minor repairs or maintenance to park facility buildings (restrooms, HVAC, electrical outlets, and irrigation).
Public Space Management:
· Ensures DDI-managed street medians are attractive, well maintained, and safe for motorists and pedestrians, working with contractors on maintenance, seasonal color changes, and mowing.
· Ensures a healthy urban forest canopy Downtown by managing regular tree maintenance and yearly tree plantings.
· Ensures Downtown sidewalks are in good condition, passable and safe for all pedestrians.
· Ensures public right-of-way (streets and sidewalks) is in good condition and safe for foot, bike, and car traffic.
· Maintain opportunities for volunteer projects and work with the park facility coordinator to execute volunteer projects and management.
· Oversee flowerpots placed along sidewalks and public spaces.
· Work in partnership with Clean Team Manager on hand watering schedule and operations.
· Oversees all DDI contractors working within the public space (pressure washing, bird abatement, sidewalk, and site furnishing repair).
· Works in partnership with Park Facility Coordinator at times to provide additional support on large improvement projects.
· Oversee public space audit program and address identified deficiencies that can not be resolved directly by DDI field operation teams.
· Works with Downtown Improvement Relation Manager to ensure work and projects are well communicated to stakeholders.
· Liaison with private property owners to ensure the private property is well maintained, creating programs that allow consistent cleaning, maintenance, and landscape throughout Downtown Dallas.
· Ensures key Downtown gateways are attractive, well maintained, and present a refined image for Downtown Dallas as a premier destination.
· Partner with Downtown stakeholders and merchants to share best practices and operating plans for private property in Downtown Dallas.
· Work to ensure City contractors and projects do not negatively impact Downtown with untidy construction sites. Work to ensure construction activity, including cones and barricades, are neat, and tidy.
· Oversee all aspects of site furnishings and signs throughout Downtown. Working to ensure trash receptacles, benches and signs are well maintained and replaced as needed.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Management or related field preferred
• Five years’ experience in field project management and other relevant work experience with five years of supervisory experience, or any other equivalent combination of education or experience preferred
• Valid State Driver’s License
• Proven ability to directly manage staff
• Ability to communicate with all levels of management
• Ability to work independently and supervise others
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidential information and department integrity
• Ability to define problems, collect data and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions and draw valid conclusions.
• Considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
• Proficient computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, etc.
• Experience in Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel, Outlook
• Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates an utmost level of integrity in all instances and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
• Trustworthy: The ability to meet commitments made to yourself and others, keeping the promises you make, and acknowledging and accepting the choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results they have led to.
• Courage: The ability to separate emotional feelings from the real issues at hand. The ability to challenge the substance of our beliefs and biases of our observations legitimately and objectively. Remains calm under pressure and in stressful situations
• Service: Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
• Unity: Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
• Professional maturity: The ability to separate emotions from the real issues at hand. The ability to challenge the substance of our beliefs and biases of our observations legitimately and objectively. Remains calm under pressure and in stressful situations
• Initiative: Takes a responsible, proactive approach and willingness to get things done independently; readiness to take the lead on new projects, ideas, tasks, or assignments.
• Responsibility: The ability to meet commitments made to yourself and others, keeping the promises you make, and acknowledging and accepting the choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results they have led to.
• Communication: The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others.
• Flexibility: Demonstrate responsiveness and adaptability following change initiatives and demonstrates ongoing support for change efforts.
• Intelligence: Understand and comprehend information, as well as find application and value from new knowledge.
• Employee Service: The ability to address employee concerns/issues in an appropriate and timely manner
• Job Knowledge/Technical Knowledge: Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of current role and the technical systems and applications used in performing this role, and understands the impact this role has on other business functions within the organization
• Interpersonal Communication: Writes and speaks effectively based on the psychological, relational, situation, environmental, and cultural dynamics within the situation
• Manages Change: Demonstrates effectiveness and flexibility with changing environments, responsibilities, tasks, and people.
• Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves issues timely by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
• Attention to Detail: Follows detailed procedures to ensure accuracy in the entry and reporting of data/information
• Organization: Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities. Methodical and efficient in structuring tasks to be accomplished.
• Judgment: Demonstrates ability to make independent and sound decisions in all situations.
• Teamwork: Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
• Quality: Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
• Computer Savvy: The knowledge and ability to use computers and technology efficiently and effectively.
• Collaboration and Partnership: Encourages and embraces dialogue from team members, while anticipating and resolving conflicting differences by exploring mutually agreeable solutions.
• Accountability: Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.