Under the direct supervision of the JMG Program Manager, the JMG Specialist is responsible for instructing, facilitating, and providing focus for activities related to the operation of the Jobs for America's Graduates (JAG) Multi-Year Dropout Prevention Program and/or Senior Year Program.
The Specialist is also responsible for helping young people stay in school through graduation and for providing work-based learning experiences in a classroom setting that leads to career advancement opportunities and/or assists them in enrolling in a post-secondary institution. The duties follow the guidelines and procedures laid out by the Jobs for America's Graduates (JAG) Multi-Year Dropout Prevention Program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Demonstrates excellent customer service
• Responsible for teaching students in a classroom setting. Uses teaching techniques to provide work-based learning experiences that will lead to career advancement opportunities.
• Provides appropriate curriculum and ensures students achieve specific school driven competencies through classroom instruction; teaches by using a variety of methods including lectures, hands-on activities, and team teaching.
• Organizes, creates, and implements new projects while evaluating and improving the existing services.
• Ensures an appropriate pool of students by directly recruiting students and obtaining referrals from an Advisory Committee, school personnel, and parents; holds interviews with prospective candidates and those making referrals to determine, using JAG guidelines, the appropriateness of the prospective student for the program.
• Tailors the program and teaching methods for the needs of each specific student and implements an intervention strategy for everyone.
• Responsible for follow up services for past participants and employer outreach.
• Monitors, evaluates, and records program activities and program effectiveness.
• Participates in staff, regional, and state-wide meetings and staff development activities.
• Mentors youth by providing assessments, job leads, advice, direction, structure, and support.
• Responsible for job development (in partnership with Michigan Works! business teams), transition into employment, and retention.
• Tracks the number of students served, services delivered, and outcomes achieved in the JAG Electronic National Data Management System (e-NDMS).
• Integrates students into the Michigan Works! System to maximize resources available to them.
• All other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Specialist must be able to utilize professional business principles and practices to successfully operate computer and automated office tools. The Specialist will also be required to instruct students using a variety of methods including lectures, hands-on activities and team teaching. The Specialist will be required to make inquiries and changes via a data management system. The Specialists will utilize their professional and academic experiences in education and training methodology.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree required. State of Michigan 6-12 teaching certification required. Minimum three years of professional working experience required. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) a plus. Must have a high level of skill with Microsoft Office suite. Must have good interpersonal and communications skills, the ability to organize, prioritize and maintain confidentiality, and the ability to work in team environment.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Must be computer literate (working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook calendar management).
• Solid organizational skills, as well as resourcefulness, flexibility, and attention to detail.
• Demonstrate proofreading, writing, and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team setting or alone.
• Must be a self-motivated starter.
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires some travel for meetings.
Background check and drug screen required. Detroit Employment Solutions does not provide transportation reimbursement costs but will provide free parking.