We are seeking a full-time Gardener to join our Horticulture Team!
Philbrook Museum of Art is a vibrant cultural institution in Tulsa, Oklahoma that welcomes approximately 150,000 visitors each year. A 1920s Italianate Villa nestled in 25 acres of designed gardens, the Museum features selections from an actively growing collection of approximately 16,000 objects as well as a dynamic and ambitious program of rotating exhibitions. Philbrook is Oklahoma’s most comprehensive art museum and offers visitors a glimpse into a broad range of cultures, time periods, and perspectives. The diverse collection supports a vision of Philbrook as central to the lives of our community as a place for learning, inspiration, and fun. Through bold action and strategic investment, we create a space for new ideas, diverse perspectives, and social connection.
The Philbrook gardens, designed in 1926 by landscape architects Hare and Hare, who used Italian Renaissance gardens, known for their visual focal points, as their inspiration. Today the 25 acres include five major gardens, five smaller gardens, four historic structures, 17 works of art, and an urban forest numbering over 1,000 trees. The gardens were renovated in 2004.
With beehives, a Victory Garden (which provide fresh fruit, vegetables, and herbs to our community), and a stained glass log cabin added to the gardens in recent years—and with plans in development to leverage the gardens to inspire visitors and make a positive contribution to our local ecosystem—this is an exciting moment to join the Philbrook Garden Team.
In this position, you are responsible for performing all aspects of day-to-day landscape operations including, but not limited to, mowing, edging, & trimming (primarily turf care from April-October), landscape maintenance, operation and routine maintenance of power equipment, fertilizer and chemical applications, tree care, and irrigation repairs as directed by the Horticulture Manager. In this position, you will apply Integrated Pest Management practices. This position is expected to work full-time at 35 hours a week, Monday – Friday (with occasional weekend, holiday, and special event shifts), and an excellent benefits package is offered to include medical, dental, vision, FSA, 403(b), and paid time off.
Primary Essential Responsibilities
- Assist with aerating, fertilizer and chemical applications, and over-seeding.
- Maintains all landscaped areas and natural areas, conduct and record fertilizer and pesticide applications, operate landscape power equipment, and ensure garden cleanliness.
- Performs pruning, weeding, mulching, watering, general maintenance, and other task, as assigned.
- Monitors plants for issues and report them to the Horticulture Manager.
- Maintains and repairs tools and equipment, irrigation system, and garden furniture and fixtures, as needed.
- Removes leaves due to fall leaf drop, and as needed throughout the gardens.
- Cleans and remove debris, to include snow and ice from parking lots, walkways, and other paved areas.
- Assists the Horticulturists with planting/installing seasonal displays.
- Greets, interacts with, and provides information to visitors.
- Maintains the security and integrity of the grounds by following museum safety policies and procedures.
- Three to five years of experience working outdoors and, in a garden/landscape is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Possess or willing to obtain an ODA Pesticide technician’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in a range of landscape skills such as: landscape maintenance, operation and routine maintenance of power equipment, fertilizer and chemical applications, tree care, and irrigation repairs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage an assigned garden area preferred.
- Ability to lead volunteers and & interns preferred.
- Basic interpersonal communication skills required for visitor interaction.
- Must be able to meet physical demands and working conditions.
- Ability to repair small engines preferred.
- Exposure to physically demanding tasks such as heavy lifting of 50 lbs. or more.
- Exposure to extreme temperature changes.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions including in the heat and cold.
- Exposed to chemicals or other hazardous materials.
- May be designated as an essential position during emergency closures.
Competitive Salary& Benefits
- Starting at $15 per hour
- Health insurance
- Paid time off, Sick Time, Paid Holidays
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- 403(b) retirement plan and matching
The successful candidate must be able to maintain prompt and reliable attendance. This position may be filled at the Assistant, Gardener, or Senior level, depending on experience.
For consideration, please submit both a cover letter and resume.
Philbrook is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. At Philbrook, we value a diverse and inclusive workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.