We are seeking a Horticulturist to join our amazing team!
Philbrook Museum of Art is a vibrant cultural institution in Tulsa, Oklahoma that welcomes approximately 150,000 visitors each year. A 1920s Italianate Villa nestled in 25 acres of designed gardens, the Museum features selections from an actively growing collection of approximately 16,000 objects as well as a dynamic and ambitious program of rotating exhibitions. Philbrook is Oklahoma’s most comprehensive art museum and offers visitors a glimpse into a broad range of cultures, time periods, and perspectives. The diverse collection supports a vision of Philbrook as central to the lives of our community as a place for learning, inspiration, and fun. Through bold action and strategic investment, we create a space for new ideas, diverse perspectives, and social connection.
The Philbrook gardens, designed in 1926 by landscape architects Hare and Hare, who used Italian Renaissance gardens, known for their visual focal points, as their inspiration. Today the 25 acres include five major gardens, five smaller gardens, four historic structures, 17 works of art, and an urban forest numbering over 1,000 trees. The gardens were renovated in 2004.
With bee hives, a Victory Garden (which provide fresh fruit, vegetables, and herbs to our community), and a stained glass log cabin added to the gardens in recent years—and with plans in development to leverage the gardens to inspire visitors and make a positive contribution to our local ecosystem—this is an exciting moment to join the Philbrook Garden Team.
Philbrook holds the visitor at the core of its mission, which is to make a creative and connected community through art and gardens.
In this position, you are primarily responsible for planning, caring for, and maintaining a garden area, including but not limited to, all aspects of health, care, and day-to-day horticulture operations, as assigned. You are responsible for developing and achieving individual goals that contribute to the Horticulture Department’s short- and long-term plans consistent with Philbrook’s mission, vision, & strategic plan. This position is expected to work full-time at 40 hours a week, Monday – Friday, 7:00am - 3:00pm (with occasional weekend, holiday, and special event shifts), and an excellent benefits package is offered to include medical, dental, vision, FSA, 403(b), and paid time off.
Primary Essential Responsibilities
- Plants and maintains seasonal displays, perennials, and containers.
- Monitors plants for issues and report them to the Horticulture Manager.
- Performs pruning, fertilizing, disease and pest control, minor irrigation repairs and maintenance, greenhouse production duties, and other tasks as assigned.
- Maintains and repairs tools and equipment, water systems, and garden furniture and fixtures, as needed.
- Removes leaves from assigned area. Clean and remove debris, including snow and ice, from assigned area.
- Propose, develop, and lead visitor-centered programs in accordance with Philbrook’s mission, strategic plan, and goals.
- Greet, interact with, and provide information to visitors.
- Maintains the security and integrity of the grounds by following museum safety policies and procedures.
- Associate's degree in horticulture or related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Minimum of three years’ related experience in a horticulture environment preferred.
- Possess or willing to obtain an ODA Pesticide technician’s license.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in a range of horticulture disciplines and techniques such as: ornamental plant maintenance, plant propagation, native plans, sustainable gardening practices, herb and vegetable gardens, disease and pest management, and basic small engine operation and maintenance.
- Basic interpersonal communication skills required for visitor interaction.
- Ability to repair small engines preferred.
- Exposure to physically demanding tasks such as heavy lifting of 50 lbs. or more.
- Exposure to extreme temperature changes.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions including in the heat and cold.
- Exposed to chemicals or other hazardous materials.
- May be designated as an essential position during emergency closures.
Competitive Salary& Benefits
- Starting at $15.50 per hour
- Health insurance
- Paid time off, Sick Time, Paid Holidays
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- 403(b) retirement plan and matching
The successful candidate must be able to maintain prompt and reliable attendance. This position may be filled as an Assistant Horticulturist, Horticulturist, or Senior Horticulturist.
For consideration, please submit both a cover letter and resume.
Philbrook is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. At Philbrook, we value a diverse and inclusive workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.