Division/Department: Durango & Silverton Scenic Bus Company
Job Title: Bus Company Driver
Reports To: Bus Company Manager/Director
Job Type: Seasonal Full-Time
Job Summary: Many have heard of Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, but did you know that we also operate a scenic bus company too! Passengers often want flexibility in scheduling a trip and the mode of transportation that they take through the beautiful mountains of the Southern San Juans. We seek to hire enthusiastic, friendly, drivers with a passion for providing passengers with a memorable experience and with the commitment to always keeping safety-first. Our drivers operate our branded motor coaches between Durango, Colorado and the town of Silverton traversing steep mountain passes and navigating in varying alpine weather. If you have the skill and interest to join a one-of-a-kind company, we encourage you to apply!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide passengers with a high caliber of outstanding customer service.
- Complete pre-trip and post-trip motor coach inspections each day to ensure safe operation and travel.
- Clean windows/windshield, maintain a clean interior area and check for general aesthetic issues before every trip.
- Pick up trash and refuse, sweep, mop and clean motor coach daily and as needed.
- Collect passengers' tickets, monitor and assist passenger boarding/deboarding, and collect and complete all applicable paperwork for each excursion.
- Give passengers information throughout the trip, providing accurate information and fun facts to guests about the area and its origins while safely operating the motor coach.
- Safely transport branded motor coaches with up to 30 passengers over multiple 11,000 ft. mountain passes.
- Fuel, wash, and service motor coach on a regular basis
- Monitor the motor coach functions, watching for possible mechanical problems and reporting any defects or issues immediately to the Bus Company Manager/Director.
- Accurately complete all required paperwork daily.
- Maintain and forge good working relationships with colleagues within the Scenic Bus Company, in the other DSNGRR facilities and with associated outside contracted services.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Bus Co. Director.
- Compliance with all DSNGRR procedures, safety, and operating rules.
- Compliance with PUC and FMCSA rules.
Experience and Work Requirements:
- Possess valid Commercial Driver's License for 1+ years
- 1+ year experience operating a bus or motor coach with driving in mountains preferred
- Possess CDL with P2 passenger and air brakes endorsement
- Maintain a clean MVR record
- Must pass a preemployment background check, DOT physical and participate in random drug and alcohol tests
- Pass a PUC/CBI/FBI background check
- Must be able to pass road tests established by Scenic Bus Company
- Must be able to work weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be open and available to making extra trips in case of train breakdown or emergency.
- Majority of time spent operating bus
- Ability to climb stairs and board/deboard motor coach
- Ability to bend, stoop, and squat in order to inspect and perform cleaning/maintenance tasks on motor coach