Not many companies in today’s world have a 95% retention rate of associates like Indiana Farmers Insurance. We value and retain our associates through a combination of interesting work, great co-workers, and a top-notch total rewards package. We are a financially strong mutual insurance company that values making smart decisions and implementing them sensibly. We also value having a good balance between our work and personal lives. All these factors combined mean a positive and stable workplace for our associates and excellent service for our members!
We are currently looking for an Assistant Personal Lines Underwriter to join our Underwriting Team. This position assists our underwriters and agency partners in the creation and delivery of a customized insurance product for our customers. Our underwriters use facts and information to apply rates and determine premiums, specific limits, deductibles, conditions, and endorsements for accounts approved for coverage. The right candidate will collaborate closely with our underwriters and agents, to understand and help analyze risk. As an Assistant Personal Lines Underwriter with Indiana Farmers Insurance, you will help drive informed decision making in support of our vision.
Responsibilities in this job include but are not limited to:
- Gathering, collecting and compiling any additional information necessary to assist in determining if insurance will be approved.
- Determining whether new business, changes, renewals and canceled policies qualify for coverage, renewal or reinstatement within guidelines; discussing and consulting with more experienced underwriters on anomalies beyond defined exceptions, to develop underwriting skills.
- Processing quotes, new applications, changes, endorsements, premium audits and renewals meeting underwriting guidelines; performing data entry and word processing.
- Communicating with agents by phone and in writing regarding status of application, as well as rating and premium related questions; following up as needed.
- Performing various support tasks including monitoring of unapplied payments, managing inbound communications, tracking work in process, generating reports and coordinating inspections.
- Performing other functions assigned to position to insure effective and smooth continuity of operations and transactions in the best Company interest.
Important skills and abilities include:
- Effective communication skills (both listening and speaking) and excellent phone skills
- Positive interpersonal skills for collaboration with colleagues, agents, insureds, and other outside contacts, both in person and over the phone
- Excellent time management, organization, and efficiency
- Thorough and detail oriented, with a strong sense of urgency
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and also as a dedicated team player
- Solid problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Strong sales acumen with the ability to sell our products and pricing in the face of competition
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Basic understanding of underwriting concepts and insurance
- Six months of previous personal lines underwriting experience, preferred
- Ability to interpret underwriting guidelines is required
Why work for Indiana Farmers Insurance?
- 95% retention of its associates over the last 5 years
- Financially stable as shown by our A (Excellent) rating by AM Best
- Truly customer focused
- A strong legacy of excellent performance throughout our 143 years in business!
Our total rewards package includes a competitive salary and benefits package:
- Excellent health, dental, vision and life Insurance plans are provided free of charge to associates.
- We promote from within our diverse workforce regularly and offer regular opportunities to learn and grow
- Our Associates enjoy Flexible Work Arrangements that include work locations in the office, hybrid schedules and fully remote. The type of arrangement available is determined by the position and business needs.
- We offer an exceptional 401(k) Plan with a 2% match plus an 11% company contribution.
- An above average Paid Time Off bank of days as well as paid holidays are standard.
- We offer a paid Day of Service to serve others at your favorite charitable organization.
- Matching funds of up to $100 annually are available from the company for your favorite charitable organization.
- Associate recognition awards, fun gatherings, and opportunities to make friends are part of our culture.
- An on-site fitness center, as well as free and convenient parking right next to our building make life easier.
For more information about Indiana Farmers, please go to: www.Indianafarmers.com
Indiana Farmers Insurance is an equal opportunity employer!