Job Title : Content Writer
Position Supervisor: Director of Communication
Classification Level: Exempt
Location: Arlington, VA (remote work optional)
Position Timeline: Permanent
APHSA is recruiting new talent! We are seeking an ambitious new hire who is a skilled writer and passionate about influencing the well-being of individuals, families and communities.
APHSA is an association representing state and local agencies in the health and human services field. With and through these members, we work to advance solutions that are centered on administering, overseeing, and aligning programs to provide access to food, health care, housing, employment, childcare, community support, and other key building blocks.
Join a team of dedicated professionals who are results-oriented and are impacting systems across the nation!
Our team at APHSA needs a person like you who leans forward and feels comfortable engaging with teammates, thought leaders and partners. We’re looking for an innovative, solution-oriented action taker who will add to our collaborative team environment.
While your main focus will be content creation and creating compelling copy in a variety of styles while advancing APHSA’s mission and goals, we’re also looking for someone who thrives in a team environment. In addition, we need someone who is comfortable being on multiple cross functional internal teams to advance the work both internally and externally with kindness, compassion, inclusion, and a can-do spirit.
Your direct supervisor and coach will be the Director of Communication. Your support will be the entire APHSA organization because we work best when we all work together!
Our ideal candidate is a skilled communicator who can listen and translate information into written deliverables. If you have experience creating compelling narratives, key messages, and tools (e.g., articles, blog posts, talking points, presentations) that promote knowledge sharing and inspire action, we encourage you to apply.
You will be responsible for utilizing the knowledge and expertise of our team and researching data to create digestible, readable, and effective communication deliverables that convey technical health and human services information. We also need someone who can break down the objectives of APHSA’s mission and highlight the benefits of our solutions in dynamic and engaging content, even when covering technical or complicated policies.
Key Responsibilities #1 (40%) – Content Creation
- Develop written deliverables and key communication tools in line with APHSA’s mission and goals;
- Create compelling content that translates technical health and human services policy, research, and data into digestible, readable, user-friendly information;
- Comprehend and synthesize complex information in a way that is understandable and relatable for the target audience;
- Support delivery of developed content through appropriate channels including email, web, presentations etc.
Key Responsibilities #2: (30%) – Communicating with Stakeholders for Optimal Impact
- Develop and provide effective ways of communicating with members, partners, funders, grantees, business and community leaders, media, policymakers, influencers, employees, and the general public;
- Develop key talking points and other tools appropriate for content and target audience;
- Support strategies and tactics for engaging with partners and media to promote and further APHSA’s goals and objectives.
Key Responsibilities #3: (20%) – Editing Written and Visual Communication
- Support copyediting for the department. Review and revise content including articles, emails, newsletters, etc. for accuracy and quality, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax;
- Ensure correct tone, voice, clarity, flow, and structure of content as well as brand standards;
- Work with graphic designers to create diagrams, charts, and other visual aids to assist readers in understanding policies and processes;
- Write content for social media platforms.
Key Responsibilities #4: (10%) Strategy and Analytics
- Collaborate to design, plan, and implement strategic communication plans and campaigns;
- Use analytics and other tools to track and optimize communication tools and tactics.
- Bachelor’s degree in English Arts, Communication or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of professional writing experience.
- Excellent research, verbal and written communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent proofreader.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present complex data in clear and concise text.
- Ability to learn quickly, makes sound judgements and work independently in a remote setting.
- Great time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to decipher and distill information and convey it in a compelling, concise and reader-friendly way.
- Ability to communicate in an engaging, passionate style even when writing about complicated policies or analysis.
- Ability to stay organized, juggle multiple priorities, and complete tasks accurately.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and follow-through.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Health and human services experience preferred but not required.
We’ve found that it’s helpful to look at actual work samples to get a sense of people’s writing style. Please share a work product to give us a sense of your work. We’ll keep anything that you share with us confidential. Please feel free to remove names or other details you’re not comfortable sharing.
Please submit a resume and upload a cover letter and writing sample.
This employer participates in E-Verify for employment verification.
The American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) is a bipartisan national membership association representing state and local health and human services agencies and the subject matter experts that help execute their mission to improve outcomes for people nationwide. APHSA's dedication to promoting diversity, racial equity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in how we work and support our members. It is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of how we do what we do. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and recognize that building well-being starts with creating a space where our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic, unique selves to work.
Building on our long-standing relationships with health and human services leaders, we focus on generating pragmatic solutions that advance the well-being of individuals, families, and communities.