Flexible Office Hours - Hybrid or Remote Work Arrangement!
Smith Schafer is currently looking for a Tax Manager to join their team!
Since 1971, Smith Schafer has been one of Minnesota’s most successful CPA firms and continues to experience incredible growth.
Since we are a mid-sized CPA firm, we require fewer hours compared to the Top 10 accounting firms and shorter summer hours, and you will have the opportunity to work with different departments, have more client interaction and learn new things.
Job Summary for the Tax Manager role:
The person in this role will have the opportunity to lead and manage multiple tax engagements and staff deliverables by preparing complex individual and business tax returns, reviewing financial statements and tax planning projections besides researching complex technical tax issues. Our managers hire, train, and manage accountants and provide input on important operational decisions. Besides delivering high quality service to our clients, our managers help lead the firm in meeting the Tax Department's goals and initiatives. They will grow in their career by building client relationships, managing client projects and supporting business development efforts.
Key Responsibilities of the Tax Manager role:
- Assists with business development efforts by meeting with prospective clients, preparing quotes and proposals, and evaluating client needs.
- Develops, builds, and manages prospective and existing client relationships.
- Be involved in professional and community activities and participate in firm-wide marketing initiatives and efforts.
- Communicates effectively with existing clients, colleagues, management, and IRS representatives regarding a variety of tax matters.
- Provides and supports employee training for new hires and existing staff, which includes reviewing and evaluating their work and providing leadership and training for senior and staff accountants and seasonal interns.
- Reviews individual and business tax returns and assists with tax planning.
- Needs to review and understand the various financial documents and statements from clients.
- Prepares client billings in a timely manner and follows-up with clients regarding unpaid invoices.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Prepares internal memoranda, written correspondence/guidance, private letter rulings and other documents for submission to the IRS or Treasury Department.
- Works effectively in a team environment with principals, managers, and staff.
- Understands and effectively uses current tax and accounting software applications when completing engagements.
- Professionally represents the Firm at business and community functions.
- Supports firm staff development and career objectives by helping to develop industry niches in Firm services.
The Tax Manager should have the following education and experience:
- Associate degree in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- 4 years of tax and accounting experience in a CPA firm.
- Strong technical, analytical and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of organization, focus, exceptional attention to detail.
- BA/BS in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- 4 plus years of tax and accounting experience in a CPA firm.
- Experience with ProSystems Tax Preparation software and QuickBooks a plus.
- CPA exam passed and license is active or actively working toward passing CPA exam.
- Customer service oriented, demonstrated by the following attributes: proactive, observant, knowledgeable, and reliable.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, stand or sit for extended periods of time, as well as type/enter data at a keyboard regularly.
Smith Schafer is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.