The AR Coder Supervisor will play an important role in the overall performance of TOA and the Revenue Cycle Function. The AR Coder Supervisor will provide immediate support and guidance to the team of qualified Coders, both certified and non-certified and AR specialists. They will also provide support to the Director.
The AR Coder Supervisor will be responsible for day-to-day team and administrative supervisory activities for assigned areas. The AR Coder Supervisor monitors and maintains performance improvement results and ensures all staff are exhibiting high level quality and productivity standards.
Work situations vary and require leadership, sound judgement, knowledge of medical acumen, and understanding of factors that impact TOA services. This position will report to the Director of Insurance Denials and build relationships with all TOA staff across the sites, TOA physicians and individual site managers to ensure our patients connect to the best care possible for each unique situation.
- Act as a role model for all teams at TOA
- Works closely with multi-coder and AR specialist team to ensure workflow processes are maintained, timely, consistent, and accurate.
- Develop and implement new policies and procedures with the direction and in collaboration with the Director.
- Monitors emails between coders and AR specialists to ensure communication is timely, appropriate, consistent, complete and has the level of detail needed to resolve any outstanding issue, providing guidance and assistance where needed.
- Is an early intervenor when coding questions are posed by the coders and/or AR specialists themselves. If/when needed, contacts the director for resolution.
- Hires staff for the team with direction and collaboration from the Director as well as, Address performance issues up to and including guidance, coaching or improved action plans
- Responsible and accountable for the initial training of all staff members and the subsequent monthly training sessions to review training and/or additional education that may be needed
- Tracks time and attendance and responsible for coverage of any employee during time off
- Responsible for the support and supervision of the Coding and AR performance measures, monitors team for accuracy and productivity, and identifies patterns of areas of excellence and areas of opportunity.
- Identifying top performers and provide growth opportunities if applicable.
- Drives operation efficiency and sustains excellent in coding workflow with accountability for meeting and exceeding established TOA goals, recommending solutions or changes to processes when/if the need is recognized
- Maintains confidentiality of employees, patients, administrative staff, and medical staff with no infractions
- Provides oversight of the coding AR team huddle, including scheduling huddles and overseeing pertinent content
- Assists in motivating and supporting the coding and AR team and overcoming barriers to coding issues and understanding coding concepts
- Assists team in staying updated on current coding, as needed
- Oversight of required TOA course completion such as annual HIPAA online
- Approves adjustments
- Uses critical thinking and sound judgment in decision making, keeping reimbursement considerations in balance with regulatory compliance
- Will provide daily, weekly, and monthly feedback to assigned AR Specialist team in the form of observations, productivity and audit standards
- Provide clear and actionable feedback to AR Coder team members
- Provide AR Specialist monthly provider AR focuses for each month after reviewing the month end ATB reports
- Identifying collections/denial obstacles/focuses including trending to optimism denial resolution and payments
- Attend all Supervisor meetings and/or huddles
- Performs other duties as assigned
The experiences and qualifications of the successful candidate include:
- Certification is required; CPC, CCS-P, COSC, and/or RHIT
- Orthopaedic coding experience strongly preferred, but not required
- Experience in all facets of medical office billing
- Minimum 3 years coding experience required; both clinic and surgery preferred but related background and strong medical coding experience accepted
- Excellent communication skills
- Successful experience in a lead or supervisory position is preferred
- Proficient with Outlook, Excel, Word
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent years of experience required
TOA is an equal opportunity employer. TOA conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers