Philbrook Museum of Art is a vibrant cultural institution in Tulsa, Oklahoma that welcomes approximately 150,000 visitors each year. A 1920s Italianate Villa nestled in 25 acres of designed gardens, the Museum features selections from an actively growing collection of approximately 16,000 objects as well as a dynamic and ambitious program of rotating exhibitions. Philbrook is Oklahoma’s most comprehensive art museum and offers visitors a glimpse into a broad range of cultures, time periods, and perspectives. The diverse collection supports a vision of Philbrook as central to the lives of our community as a place for learning, inspiration, and fun. Through bold action and strategic investment, we create a space for new ideas, diverse perspectives, and social connection.
The Philbrook gardens, designed in 1926 by landscape architects Hare and Hare, who used Italian Renaissance gardens, known for their visual focal points, as their inspiration. Today the 25 acres include five major gardens, five smaller gardens, four historic structures, 17 works of art, and an urban forest numbering over 1,000 trees. The gardens were renovated in 2004.
In this position, you are responsible for providing a welcoming and personalized environment for visitors. You work to connect visitors to the institution through a range of engagement techniques designed to deepen their on-site experience and encourage repeat visitation. The Gallery & Garden Host builds strong relationships across the institution by communicating proactively and maintaining a professional demeanor and positive attitude.
Primary Essential Responsibilities
- Orients visitors throughout their visit to the campus with detailed information that may include directions, event information, and accessibility information ensuring their experience is tailored to their needs and interests.
- Maintains a friendly and welcoming presence throughout the museum while circulating and assisting visitors in an assigned zone.
- Engages visitors through friendly conversation and engagement techniques regarding special exhibition topics.
- Educates visitors on the history of Philbrook.
- Discusses artwork in the permanent collection, on view in the Villa, and in the Gardens.
- Responsible for the maintenance of guest-facing areas.
- Continually monitors the collection to maintain integrity of the artwork.
- Participates in ongoing audience research and evaluation by collecting data from visitors using a variety of evaluative techniques.
- Attends assigned training on a continuous basis as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least six months experience in an educational or customer service environment is required.
- A candidate working towards a degree in art, history, education, or related field is a plus.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Ability to interact with a diverse population in a helpful, friendly, and professional manner.
- Demonstrates keen cultural sensitivity and handles sensitive information with poise.
- Highly articulate and comfortable speaking with diverse audiences, including adults and children.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate historical information and discuss conversationally with visitors; strong aptitude to learn historical information.
- Exceptional customer service skills and attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving skills with flexibility to meet needs of visitors.
- Ability to perform job tasks with little to no supervision.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Spanish language fluency a plus.
Philbrook provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.